V-10 spark plug change

I'm aware that plugs are suposed to be changed at 100,000 miles. I've got a question though. If the plugs are in there for such a long period isn't it likely that they could be very very difficult to remove? As a practical matter, is it recomended to change them before 100,000 miles or is it a very expensive job? Please advise, Tim fm Ct.

Reply to
Tim Dolan

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Tim Dolan) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m19.aol.com:

For the most part, they are instlled with antiseze from the factory and will not be a problem to change. I wouldn`t do it early, it doesn`t need it. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

KB-do you know if they use antiseize on all cars?

I am thinking of removing my plugs on 2000 explorer (44000 mi), probably go ahead and changing them, and using antiseize.

For the most part, they are instlled with antiseze from the factory and will not be a problem to change. I wouldn`t do it early, it doesn`t need it. KB

Reply to
stevef

"stevef" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

If your Explorer has the 100,000 mile plugs I would not bother to change them. I have not had problems with getting them out and would not spend the money just for that reason. I have not personally seen any real problems with going the full milage with these plugs. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

If your Explorer has the 100,000 mile plugs I would not bother to change them. I have not had problems with getting them out and would not spend the money just for that reason. I have not personally seen any real problems with going the full milage with these plugs. KB

Reply to
stevef

There is another point to consider also. Anytime you open a hole in the engine, there's always the remote possibility that something will get through that hole, or it will get cross-threaded or stripped threads. So why bother opening any hole more often than the service interval specifies as long as it's performing well?

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Yep, if it ain't broke don't fix it, murphy's law etc...

Reply to
Stergil

I agree with what you said. I was just thinking that, in order to head off a problem later on, the plugs could be removed and antiseize applied.

Yep, if it ain't broke don't fix it, murphy's law etc...

Reply to
stevef

How in the world could *crud* or anything else get in the spark plug hole on a Ford V-10? The plugs go straight down from the top on the intake manifold side and each plug has its own coil on top of it, I don't think anything could find its way in there unless someone submerged the entire truck under water. Jack Cassidy

Reply to
Jack Cassidy

I put some zinc anti-seize on the threads before installing, seems good for 100k, no difficulty in removal. On a new vehicle, I do the same thing with existing plugs, but no later than 30k.. works ok too.

fyi JAB

JR wrote:

Reply to
JAB