Vacuum Gage(Gauge)

Hi Guys, I have an '87 Ford E350 with a 460. Would like to install a vacuum gauge but am getting conflicting advice on where to tee the line. I was told...the PCV line? then, as close to carb as possible? then, it doesn't matter? Also does the diameter of the line matter? Thanks a lot guys, Geoff.

Reply to
GeoffP

Close to the carb. The size of the line is not important as long as you don't get carried away. At some point, an oversize line may collapse. Too small a line will dampen the speed of the response at the gauge, which may be beneficial. A restrictor in the line will give the same result.

Reply to
Tyrone

Thanks Tyrone for the info. Would on the PVC line but close to carb work? It's just easier to get at. I was wondering though that as the end of the line is open to whatever pressure is in the rocker cover, would that screw up the reading? Thanks again, Geoff

Reply to
GeoffP

no

yes

Reply to
TranSurgeon

The pcv is a controlled vacuum leak. You won't get a true reading of manifold vacuum there. Get right on the manifold somewhere.

Steve Barker

Reply to
GeoffP

Exactly. This is the correct answer you were looking for. Tee into something that's on the manifold. Stay away from the carburetor unless you don't have any choice at all. The a/c controls, if you have them, will be hooked onto the manifold. Power brakes also. Probably several other lines that run emissions equipment.

Reply to
Joe

tee into the PB line BEFORE the check valve

Reply to
TranSurgeon