valve spring

I have a 97 ford f150 with 157000 miles. I dropped a valve the other day and the mechanic explain that the spring broke. He indicated that this is uncommon. If so why me? What would be the down fall of the vechile once the new spring is inserted and put it back together? Next question, have anybody replaced their air filter with an K&N filter? Is there anything special you must do cause of the difference of the CFM?

Reply to
xyz

Yes, carefully remove it and place it in the garbage. Then reinstall the OEM filter assembly. I just don't get people who think some aftermarket gimmick can out perform the system designed for your truck by the engineers that designed the rest of the truck. OK, maybe a couple HP at the extreme edge, but not enough to bother with. Especially the oil soaked ones that pollute AFMs.

Reply to
JimV

Curiously enough, you don't say anything about the head being removed and a new valve installed. If you just tried to put a new spring on you might well expect that the dropped valve got broken or bent. At that mileage and given that putting the spring on is fairly easy I believe, maybe it's worth a try. You can rebuild it if this doesn't work.

Reply to
Al Bundy