vibration/rumbling sound

1978 F-100, 300 six with C-6 automatic, extremely high mileage, and at a steady cruising speed, it has a loud rumbling and vibration that goes away if you let off the gas or mash accelerator pedal. Any ideas?
Reply to
J Grant

Motor mounts? Tranny mount? They can be bad even if they look good to the eye. Those are probably the first things I would check. MK

Reply to
Mark Keith

I have the same problem with my 1982...I THINK it's tire rumble. but mebbe input shaft? VERY noticable on the interstate above 65 mph...

Reply to
pmbedard

Its got new tires, so I don't think that tires are the cause. I will check the motor and tranny mounts though. This truck is very tired....501K miles, and it really shows it lately. I have been thinking of restoring it, but I have a feeling it would cost as much as my house to do that. The old girl has a lot of sentimental value to me though. Thanks for the responses.

Reply to
J Grant

Sounds like a u-joint to me. And a visual or shake test won't do. Take them out and inspect. Replace as needed.

Steve Barker

Re: vibration/rumbling sound

- snipped-for-privacy@not.hotmail.com (Steve=A0Barker) wrote: Sounds like a u-joint to me. And a visual or shake test won't do. Take them out and inspect. Replace as needed. And that was the culprit. They were only a couple of months old and failed. Replaced them at the same time I had the transmission rebuilt. Thanks for the responses.

Reply to
J Grant

I had the same issue with my 1989 Ford Bronco II. As long as there was torque on the motor, it was fine. No torque there was rumble. Well I took it to my mechanic and he had to replace the throwout bearring in my Manual transmission.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J Grant) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3314.bay.webtv.net:

Reply to
Donald Moreno