Water Temperature Sensor(s)?

Have a '96 F150 w/ 300 6 cylinder, 5 speed manual.

Water temperature has been acting screwy lately. Air from the heater was warm, but didn't seem quite as warm as in the past. The gauge was reading

10 to 30% lower than in the past, and a little erratic.

Since the truck is 8 years old, figured it was time for a new thermostat. Replaced that puppy, actually seemed to made the air from the heater a little warmer. And, the temp gauge moved up just a tad, but still not as high as past reading. BTW, original thermostat was a 192, installed a 195.

So bought a temperature sending unit yesterday ($20 at Advance Auto?). This looked just like the one in the housing holding the thermostat, but in the tube going to the heater. Before replacing it, I unhooked the old one, and looked at the temperature gauge ( I had just driven the vehicle and the temp was up ). The gauge was still reading at it's new "normal" position.

So apparently, that's not the sending unit for the guage, huh? I've looked the engine over and don't see one anywhere else. Where the heck is it? Buried under all the duct work for the fuel injection?

Thanks in advance smt

Reply to
smt

I have an older model of that engine. The sending unit, on my engine, is on the passenger side of the engine block, toward the rear of the engine. Chase down the wiring around that area, and you should find it.

The correct t-stat, is the 195=B0 one you installed. I'd recommend you also change the radiator cap. Correct cooling system pressure within the engine is something needed since everything works in unison, plus, new rad caps are cheap insurance.

If I understand your complaint correctly, insufficient heat, possibly the temp cable isn't adjusted properly, or there is a problem within the duct system concerning the temp blend door... an all too common problem. The doors within the plenum system have a nasty habit of breaking loose from their 'moorings'. Plastic rivets is what Ford uses/use to use and they loosen/break in time. Not a fun thing to fix if that is the problem.

Your truck may have a valve in the heater hose line from the engine, that is faulty. Possibly the heater core is clogged/partially clogged. Heater core 'lifespan' is about 10yrs before it needs to be replaced.....usually because they begin leaking.

Hope some of this helps......

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt