Weird Symptom

Today, I started the truck, ('99 SuperDuty PSD 7.3) let it warm up about

3mins, and started up the road at a normal (easy) pace. Started up a slight incline, and suddenly lost most of the power, the truck started slowing down, the service engine soon light came on, and the truck wouldn't accelerate by mashing the pedal. It didn't shut down, just acted like a gas motor when it's choked too much. This all happened in about a 25-30 second time frame. I put it up in Neutral, let it settle down to idle, put it back in Drive, and accelerated like nothing had happened, and in about 15 more seconds, the service engine soon light went off. I had no other problems with it today, subsequently driving about 90 miles.

Weird.

Anybody have a similar experience, or have an idea as to why?

CPS?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Take it to AutoZone or somewhere to see if you can get a code from it.

Is the problem consistent? Does it always do it on an incline or anything else you could tie to the symptom?

Clark

Reply to
Clark

It did it once, today, and that's the only time it ever happened.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

What was the Tach doing during this episode?

Reply to
bomar

The tach was bouncing.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I'll bet you need a cps. Symptoms sure sound like it, get the codes checked.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Bet you it the CPS. Erratic tach is the clue. Buy one from International-WAY cheaper than the same exact thing from F@rd. Located on front of engine kinda above harmonic balancer. As I recall 10mm socket, 3" extension, pliers to get the plug off.

Reply to
bomar

I went to the International dealer today and purchased a new CPS, $113.00. Put it in the glove box just in case. The Ford dealer wanted $186.00 for the same part.

Just a follow up, but I've had no recurrence of the problem.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
dsharpy

The truck has a brand new CPS in it now, with no change to the cold-start problem. There are no codes stored in the computer.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You are not gonna like this advice...but...take it to a Ford dealer with a lot of diesel sales and experience. They will plug a diagnostic into the OBDII port that will reveal all sorts of things that have nothing to do with OBDII and do a drive cycle on the road.

Again, it has to be a Ford dealer with a real diesel tech and the proper equipment.

Reply to
bomar

It's not whether I like or dislike the advice, Bomar, just didn't want to spend all the extra cash right here at Christmas. I'm sure that'd be the quick and easy way, I'm just broke right now.

Thanks for the input, thought.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I'm with ya, but I have no down and dirty answer. Ford has a Rotunda reader that gives real time data and will diagnose problems that don't surface (including leaving codes) otherwise. Other than that, there is always the forums at

Not a good time for a large cash outlay here either ;)

Reply to
bomar

I'm gonna catch some crap over this I'm sure, but I'm going to post the fix so that maybe it helps someone else.

Low oil level caused the problem. Always the basics.

Feeling like an idiot.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thanks for posting the outcome..... Yep, that would do it. Low oil level starves the High Pressure oil pump. HP oil pump runs the injectors. Injectors don't fire.

Glad you have it fixed. ;)

Reply to
bomar

Several years ago I Abandoned my truck at a dealership about 150 miles from home with the same problem. Mechanic at a T/A couldn't find problem. I had to rent a car on Sunday night, want to guess what is costs to walk in and rent a car on Sunday night?

Dealer call me on Monday, when was last time I checked/changed oil? About 500 mile ago say I being honest.

Well says he, you're down 8 quarts! The turbo had blown it's seal and she swallowed the whole 8 quarts!

All fixed under warrantee, happy day!

Always check oil on PSD when it's acting funky.

Reply to
Peter Arnold

You know, mine was down almost two gallons, and changed at and independent garage about a week before the trouble started, so I never thought that low oil would be an issue.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader