what fits my '82 F-100?

Hi Group: A week ago a woman pulled out in front of me and hit the right front of my '82 F-100. I'm tired of playing "phone tag" with her insurance company. They had a guy look at my truck, and determined it's a "total loss". I think they're going to offer me a thousand buck or so, and try to take the truck, letting me buy it back... I hear in GA you have to use all new parts, etc. etc. after a salvage title... I'm just going to a junkyard and getting a right front fender, grille, and headlight surround, but what I need to know is: will these parts from a newer F-150 fit my '82 F-100 longbed? Lots of 150's around the Atlanta area, but not many F-100's, especially my year. I'll call the dealer, but I bet those dumbazzes don't know.... my tail lights aren't working, and I can't trace that problem down., so it goes to the local PepBoys Saturday. Tired (in general) and of these insurance companies....they'd BETTER pay the rental car charges for a week! Why do they get to determine if it's totalled, and that it's too old for a body shop? Thinking of calling a lawyer, as the truck should be "put back" to pre-accident condition! No citations issued, and her '99 Accord really was totally destroyed - from the rear tires all the way back. Her cheap back bumper assembly flew off, the trunk lid bent, and the back window shattered! It was like "bumpin' cars, as I actrually laughed out loud when we hit. I felt a slight "boomph", and her car went "the other way"!!! No injuries :+) but if I had been on my bike, I'd be dead....so I'm keeping my truck for as long as I can.... sorry I don't get to read this group much - it's a good one, and has helped me in many ways; just too tired and busy... email me kundaliniratter(don't buy a focus) @yahoo.com <leave out the Focus comment, and I'll check the group for answers....any help -- THANKS!! Paul

1999 Monte Carlo 1982 F-100 1981 Honda CB650 ratbike
Reply to
kundalini

No citations yet? And her insurance company is talking to you? Consider yourself lucky. I would think most insurance companies would tell you to go away. I am speaking from

12 years experience dealing with them.

I think your 82 shares parts with pickups up to 86, twenty years ago I could have told you exactly what fits.

When an insurance company tells you your vehicle is totaled it simply means the repair cost exceeds a certain percentage of the book value, I don't remember what it is but surely they will tell you.

The whole thing comes down to dollars. If they think the insured may be found guilty in civil court, and they can pay you $1000 and avoid all that, it could be exactly how they are thinking.

Tell them you want the money and the truck so you dont have to do through any BS salvage title stuff.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I wish I had posted earlier. I agreed (by phone) to take $1100 and a salvage title, as compared to $1300 and lose the truck. They're also payng my rental car fees 'til tomorrow (a week's worth)... Sooo, she caused the accident, and I get virtually nothing. I might just pull the fender out, and glue the grille together (can't JB WELD - it's plastic). What is a GREAT glue product? I'm thinking bondo :+) but too messy for a grille... wait 'til the guys @PepBoys see the duct taped headlight - I'll have to apologize to get them to do the wiring check... I guess it's forget the salvage title and any compensation. Man, I'm a thrifty (cheap) guy, and I refuse to buy a fender NEW! Makes me mad, because I'm taking it to Tennessee to sand/primer/paint it this summer, and painting over dents is really a "NEVER"... What was ironic about the insurance guy (hers) was him telling me they have to decide on "blame percentages". I told him HIS CLIENT caused the accident (true), but no citations issued, no witnesses, etc. so his company should restore my truck to pre-accident condtion, and my insurance should cover her. He started with the "well, are you sure you didn't have 5% of the blame?:" !!! Besides I have straight liability, and get nothing from my insurance company, so I'm done with them.... geez, I know there are good people in all fields, but I see why people get pissed at attorneys, Enron crooks, etc... I'm going to see if anyone knows ways around this "salvage title" crap. Otherwise, I'll forget the $1100 and hope the other driver's husband slapped the piss outta her! Not really, but speaking of slappin' where's that Colorado guy? I lived in Boulder in the early 70's, and I saw more rednecks in Colorado than anywhere...I'd read his stuff, but the best thing to do is IGNORE him... now - lemme post some technical ?'s .... thanks - Kundalini

Reply to
kundalini

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:29:11 -0800, kundalini rearranged some electrons to form:

If the police didn't issue any citations, it's going to be your word against hers. Maybe you should take her to small claims court, you may get SOMETHING.

Well whose fault is that? If you don't have collision coverage, why would you expect your insurance company would pay for your collision damage?

Maybe you should spend $50 and talk to someone that knows the law, before you accept a salvage title.

Reply to
David M

The problem with the small claims court angle is that he has to have a demonstrable loss. If he has settled with her insurance, he has or will sign something indicating his claim has been satisfied with the insurance company which is her representative. I had this situation in the past with my daughter's car. The other insurance did not want to cover the actual losses leaving me holding the bag on a couple grand. Before I settled with the insurance co., I file a small claim case for the entire amount of the loss. Within a week, the insurance company managed to come up with a reasonable settlement so I did't lose anything and took care of my hassle factor. Again, the insurance company is her representative just a a lawyer would be. If you settle with them, you have settled with her.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The guy at Pepboys told me people re-sell their vehicle to a relative, and then have it sold back to them. No title's involved in Georgia, no safety inspections, etc. Of course, I wouldn't actually do this... re: a comment: I don't expect my insurance company to do anything for me, and they aren't. Now I wonder if I'll get a check from her insurance company automatically, or if they have to see a salvage title.

Reply to
kundalini

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 09:42:19 -0500, lugnut rearranged some electrons to form:

Yup... if he already settled, then he's pretty much getting what he got... nothing.

Reply to
David M