What is this thing?

What is this thing on my 83 Ford Ranger? What does it do?

It has the 2.8 v6 and Motocraft carb. The device in question moves the pushrod against the throttle and won't let my idle come down below around

1100. I adjusted it so the pushrod was in the full in position and the truck seemed to run much better, however it would come out and keep my idle even higher. I unplugged it and the truck ran great, but still seemed idle a bit higher than normal, even with my curb idle screw all the way out and the choke fully open.

How should I set it?

What is the proper adjustment?

Can I just remove it? I don't have a visual smog inspection in my state so that is not an issue. Will it reduce gas mileage? Right now I am sure it isn't helping to have an idle of 1100...

TIA

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Gotta love Outlook! It mixed up my posts. Here is the message I intended to send:

My Chilton's manual was NO help on this problem. :-(

Yesterday I let the pushrod fully retract, then I unplugged the selonoid. So far so good. Think this will cause any issues?

Thanks for your help.

Carl Saiyed

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Nope!

I had one on my 87 Ranger w/2.0 same thing, except i jumpped it * motor* to get it to go to the RPM i wanted.. worked great

Good luck

Reply to
Joe G