Wheel Spacers for Rangers?

For no other reason then to just push my tires out a little past the fenders I am toying with the idea of using 1/4" wheel spacers. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they make a noticable dfference? Any disadvantages? Does taking 1/4" of thread make a difference in safety or durability?

Thanks Joe

Reply to
badfrog

Don't ever, and I mean ever, use wheel spacers on anything you think you or a loved one might possibly ride in and/or drive. Those things should be made illegal. I have never met anyone who has used them and didn't break/strip at least one lug or burn up bearings. Needless to say, when you are on the freeway and burn up a bearing or shear off your wheel lugs, you are in for one hell of a ride. I know I sound a little nuts about this but I am totally serious. Bad idea.

Reply to
Dale Randall

The effective added length of the axle does cause additional load on the wheel bearings and can affect the front steering geometry. The added leverage can also have an effect on the rear geometry on a vehicle with independent rear suspension.

Reply to
BaghdadBob