Where/how to get 12VDC

I'm hardwiring a Sirius satellite radio into my 2004 Explorer and I need a source of 12VDC.

Beneath the steering wheel, in front of the driver's knees, is a trim panel that can be removed by taking out two hex-head screws at the bottom of the panel and popping out the two clips holding the top of the panel to the dash. Removing this panel reveals all the stuff underneath and beside the steering wheel, including the fuze box.

When I check the fuse diagram in the owner's manual I find that fuse #9 is not used for anything. I assume I could somehow stick a wire into that fuse location and pick out 12 volts -- or, has anyone seen any kind of adapter that plugs into a fuse slot for this purpose? After I get a source of switched 12VDC, I'll run the power cord for the Sirius radio through joints in the trim down to the area beside the steering wheel and tie it into the 12VDC.

OR -- maybe I should tie the power for the Sirius receiver into the power for the radio -- what color wire is the main 12VDC lead for the radio? The radio in my Explorer stays on when the switch is turned off then it goes off when the door is opened.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

I like to use the Littlelfuse Add-A-Circuit products for this application. See

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

If location 9 in the fuse block is hot and there is no tap on the load side, you can easily install a tap and a fuse and get yoru power from there. You can also plug a wire with an inline fuse directly into the tap that is already in location 9 and get your power that way.

I would select a power source that comes and goes with the radio. Alternatively, you can select a constant hot and set the Sirius to turn off after a certain period of time so it does not run all day while you are at work. The problem with this is that the receiver will shut off in the middle of listening to something you like, and you have to wait a few seconds for it to spool up again. I had my satellite receiver connected to a switched hot, and then set the receiver to never turn off while power was applied.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

com...

Thanks -- exactly what I was looking for -- now if I can just find it

-- I live in a, uh, "rural" area. Nearest auto parts place is 15 miles -- I'm headed in that direction in 2-3 days and will see if they have it.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

ews: snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look for the radio power source and try to tap that so the Sirius goes on and off with the radio.

I purchased the Sirius professional vehicle installation kit that contains a separate power supply that mounts under the dash, eliminating the plug that goes into the dash outlet or cigarette lighter. The kit also contains the FM direct connection adapter that feeds the output of the Sirius directly into the radio -- I have one on my Mazda truck and it eliminates the interference from FM broadcast stations.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look for the radio power source and try to tap that so the Sirius goes on and off with the radio.

I purchased the Sirius professional vehicle installation kit that contains a separate power supply that mounts under the dash, eliminating the plug that goes into the dash outlet or cigarette lighter. The kit also contains the FM direct connection adapter that feeds the output of the Sirius directly into the radio -- I have one on my Mazda truck and it eliminates the interference from FM broadcast stations.

You are gonna like the direct connect thingie. It works way better than the FM modulator, having said that my XM radio with the XM-brand FM modulator worked very well -- the sorry bastards that stole my truck are likely still enjoying it.

In any case, you are going to have to figure out how to pull the radio to wire in the direct connect thingie, so you can find the radio's hot lead -- most likely to be RED -- on the back of the radio. You will need to unplug the antenna lead from the radio and plup it into the direct connect thingie, and then plug the antenna lead from that into the radio. This sounds complicated, but the most difficult part is the physical effort needed to extract the radio from the dash board. The rest is easy after that.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

ews: snipped-for-privacy@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

com...

Ed --

I purchased two of those adapters to mount Sirius radios in my '04 Explorer and '97 Mazda B4000 -- worked perfectly!!! Thanks for the tip.

I ordered six more of them for my electrical toolbox just in case I need another tap.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names