Where is the "Black Box" on a F-150?

I read that there is a computer (Black Box) somewhere on board of late model vehicles that records all data such as speeds, brake pressure, date, seat belts usage, and so on. I have a 2000 F-150 and I want to disable this thing, but I have no idea of where to find it. Anybody know? Wild guesses don't count!!! Thanx!

Reply to
Terry Chop

Terry,

I think this has been discussed, I think the consensus was, that the truck won't run without it...

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

The Terry Chop entity posted thusly:

Your name has been forwarded to the appropriate authorities. Expect a visit from the suits in black cars carrying black-box readers.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Its the airbag controller.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The black box to which you refer only records the last few seconds before air bag deployment. It may, depending on vehicle, record near deployments which is where the antilock brake system is activated, but, only two events. It records no other events. If you want to drive 100 MPH on the way home from you mistress, it won't record it. That said, according to my list, the 2000 year F150 had no capability to record or, even an EDR installed. It only has the capability to control the air bag.

Lastly, unless you are a full time bad driver, you'd be a damn fool to disconnect such a device since folks in my business would regard that as an intent to violate the law making us dig deeper. If you are doing the right thing, the info from such a device can save your ass in more ways than one.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

If you want to record all that data and have the ability to disconnect it go to

they have a tracking box that can do just about anything you want to record. Bill

Reply to
Bill M

Give them time, pretty soon your car will be calling you on your phone or emailing you for a tuneup, or worse yet, you will have a cop waiting at your door when you get home due to speeding data being sent. Don't laugh. Its already possible. I used to laugh about red light cameras at one time but not any more.

Reply to
norm

You hang around fords to much you get behind, lol. GM Onstar will e-mail you when its time for maintenance, and the system is tied to the computers on the car and will email diagnostics as well.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Blondstar

Fords and ford drivers don't need that,

They don't need e-mails telling us it needs a oil change every 5K Its already annoying that my local dealer e-mails me they haven't seen me for a while

:-)

Reply to
JohanB

Speaking of annoying, how about when a third party company calls you at mealtime to inquire about your last visit to the local Ford Service Center. Taking 10 minutes of my time for a phone survey, during which I tell them the only thing they could do better is to stop calling me with survey questions, which resulted in my receiving 4 more phone calls from them to ask me what they could do to make me happy and keep my business.

True story.....

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

What kinda dimwit needs a friggin e-mail to tell him maintenance is due??? Christ, even my wife knows to take her car in for an oil change (or talk me into doing it for her) every 3,000 miles...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

AT&T wireless did that to me one day. 4 calls in less than 6 hours. Cancelled my cell service with them not 30 seconds after the last call.

AT&T long distance called about 5 mins later. I don't have ANYTHING AT&T anymore...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

How much was your fine? :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Some GM vehicles already do that.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The same people who drove the Explorers that rolled over with 10psi in the tires.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Yeah, but when you go to the dealership, to get service work or something done, they get a "contact" number from you then. I guess that's how it happens.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Yep just what I want. A company that can unlock my doors any place I might be, or that can pull the diagnostics (or what else) of the vehicle, or can track you whereever you are at any given time.

Why would anyone pay for a service that can, is and will be used against you like that? It's a rhetorical question.

George Orwell wasn't so far off.

Whitelightn>

Reply to
respk

So I guess we can assume you don't use a cell phone, always pay with cash, never plastic, and don't use toll road transponders.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

OK, that guy pretty much pegs the FTQ (F**k-Tard Quotient) meter...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I don't drive my cell phone, and I can easily turn it off. I almost always pay with cash, and do not drive on toll roads (there are none in our state)... Some of us would rather retain control of our information...

Reply to
351CJ