Why do Ford trucks have that Key Button

Why do Ford trucks have that Key Button on the steering column, that I need to push to turn the ignition key to the off position?

(I'm referring to a 1988 and a 1990 F150, both have this button).

I've had quite a few other brands of trucks and cars and none of them had that. I've had 3 Ford trucks and two of them had it, a 1988 and a

1990. The old 78 Ford I once owned did not have it.

WHY IS IT THERE?

I just can not see the reasoning for it. I find it annoying, because it seems so senseless to have to use two hands to turn the damn key off. This is definately NOT one of Ford's better ideas, but might quailfy as one of their stupidest ideas. I've learned to live with it, but everytime I got to push that button I ask myself why it's there. So, now I'm asking you.....

Why cant they just make it like other cars and trucks, where you just turn it off and remove the key without pushing an extra button, that seems to serve no purpose whatsoever, except to irritate the owner. It's particularly annoying when I'm wearing heavy gloves in winter, have to remove them to find the stupid button, and since I'm cold, I want to get indoors as fast as possible, and got to be pissing around with this button. If it served a real purpose, I'd not complain, but if there is any purpose, I sure can not see what it is.

By the way, do any of the Ford cars have these too? I owned a Ford car (Galaxie 500) back in the early 1970s, and the car was an early 60's. It did not have that button. That's the only Ford car I've owned. But what about the late 80's early 90's cars? Or newer ones....

Reply to
jim

I had a '99 Ranger and it had the button. Also, a '77 Mustang that had the same button. Although I think I've never seen a car that had one since. (I had an '83 Mercury LN-7 that I don't think had the button, but the '92 Exploder did.)

I never understood why the fool think was there either, but I'd bet on some Insurance Company being the motivation for it being there.

S.

Reply to
Simon1952

It keeps you from turning the key to the lock position. It is (was) required because if the key is turned, the steering is locked. The current way they do it, the steering does not lock until the key is removed.

What you noticed is that idiots did not own cars or trucks before the 1980s. Or, idiots did own them and the government said that the rest of us had to be protected from them, this meant that we had to be inconvenienced by them too until somebody figured out a better mousetrap.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My 89 Probe had it.

My guess it was a safety feature (like Jeff posted) to keep the steering wheel from locking if you had a situation like a runaway engine. You'd sure want to turn it off, but you definitely wouldn't want the steering wheel to lock while you're still rolling. I much prefer the current method of removing the key to lock the wheel :-)

Reply to
SC Tom

OK, that sounds plausible.

But how come only Big Blue? I never heard of GM or Dodge having this solution applied to their cars.

S.

Reply to
Simon1952

The only Fords that have that button, as far as I am aware, are ones with manual transmissions. The purpose is to make it more difficult for you or someone to easily turn the key all the way to the steering wheel lock position while you are driving.

I don't think I've seen a Ford with this button with an automatic, because the key will not turn all the way off unless the shifter is in Park. I can't say I've driven a lot of different Fords lately, though. My Dad's 96 F-250 doesn't have a button and neither does my Mom's 2004 Escape.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

I have had two Toyota's with similar buttons. On the current POS Honda I have, you have to push the key in to get it to go all the way to lock.

Can't say I've ever driven a Dodge or a GM.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

My '89 Probe was an automatic, and it had the button.

Reply to
SC Tom

I was thinking about it. It must be an older model thing. My '93 T-Bird didn't have a button, nor did my '94 Couger. They were automatics. My '99 Ranger did, but it was a manual.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

My Jeep had it, 1981 CJ5. It's common. Some cars still have it.

You are asking why the sun comes up in the east, and if there is a way to make this different. No. It is what it is.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think you hit the nail on the head with this reply. Both of these fords were manual tranny. Now it makes sense because on an automatic you have to shift to Park first. I was using a 92 GMC pickup with automatic and that did not have it. My car, a 89 Chevy Impala / automatic dont have it. Then again, GM trucks dont seem to come with manual trannies very often. I know they are made, but I seldom see them, whereas the Fords seem to often have them.

I guess this button dont matter much anymore.... (see my next message)

Thanks

Reply to
jim

For stupid people.

So you don't pull the key out driving around and lock up the steering , and lose your power brakes and wreck.

Or kill somebody and

then blame Ford.

Reply to
DogDiesel

lose your power brakes and wreck.

But you would still lose your power brakes. The button doesn't prevent you from turning the vehicle off; it just prevents the removal of the key.

Reply to
SC Tom

Lose brakes? Me thinks that losing steering is the big problem.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland