wirng problem w/ f250 7 way connector.

greetings, all:

hoping someone can help. first all, i am a novice to wiring. having said that, i recently wired a trailer to tow behind my 2000 f250 4wd diesel. i am having two problems that need correction. first, my hot wire connection from the truck side of my 7 way connector is not sending any juice. second, i am not getting any juice from the truck side of my right turn signal/ right brake light. so as for the hot wire problem, i am hoping the problem will be remedied with a 30 amp maxifuse. the truck did not have a 30 amp fuse needed for the electric brakes, so i put one in. now i have a connection to my brake controller, but there seems to be another 30 amp maxi fuse missing. my hopes are that once i place the second 30 amp maxi ( i think it is position 29), i will get juice to my hot wire. i need it for my breakaway charger. does anyone know if both 30 amps are required? i tried moving my 30 amp from one position to the other, but that did not help. still no hot feed to my 7 way connector. as for the right turn signal/brake light... the light on the truck works fine. the running light on the right tail light also works. i bought this truck used, but to the best of my knowledge the 7 way connector has never been used. i pulled the trailer end of the 7 way connector loose from the mount and all the wired APPEARED to be intact. any ideas? these are, hopefully, both simple fixes. but then again, i am a novice to wiring. please help.

vg

Reply to
vinylgrooves

It occurs to me that a novice wiring up an electric brake controller is not a wise man.

I am not a novice ar wiring stuff up, but given a need to figure this out, I could do it. Having said that, there are far too many things/places to check for me to even begin to offer advice. My only advice(advise -- sheesh!) is to start at the first connection you made and check everything. My first guess is a bad connection, and my second guess is a connection to the wrong place.

As for the fuse you think you need, if you haven't got a fuse and need one, you will still have voltage at the other end of the wire. A fuse only stops voltage from going from one end of the wire to the other when the fuse has blown (opened). If you have good connections, then you should have voltage present. If you want to protect the circuit, then you put in a fuse.

The brake light has two filiments inside, one for the running lights and another for the brake/turn indicator. My guess here is that you have a bad bulb since one lighting circuit seems to work and the other does not. Try swapping the bulb to the other side of your truck and see if the symptoms follow the bulb. If the symptoms remain -- the left side bulb fails in the right side and the right side bulb works properly in the left side -- then yoiu have a wiring problem somewhere. YOU MUST DETERMINE THE STATUS OF THE BULBS BEFORE YOU MOVE ON.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Nope, sounds to me like a broken wire, or probably to. If the fuse didn't fix it when you moved it, the wire is bad. Same goes for your turn signal. Fastest way to fix that one is to run a wire from the light itself, cut the wire near the trailer plug and splice in your new wire there. As far as the other one goes, you'll probably have to find where the output of the second fuse should connect and run a new wire back from that point; simpler than trying to find the break in 20 feet of harness if you ask me.

Reply to
Chris Hill

thanks for the response. i need to clarify. the right turn signal/ tail light on my truck works -- i just cannot get juice to the 7 way connector to power the right turn/tail light on my trailer. as for the hot wire, i now have that working. seems once i placed the

2nd 30a fuse w/ a couple of relays, i have the hot feed to my 7 way. i only wish i could get the juice to my right tail light/turn signal of my trailer. the problem is probably b/w the fuse bos and the harness. vg
Reply to
vinylgrooves

If it's a factory setup with trailer tow package, you'll have separate fuses for right and left and tail to the trailer plug. They will be located in the power center under the hood.

Reply to
Steve Barker