Worth fixing

Hi folks.

We have an '85 F150 with the streight 6. It's no longer running, haveing locked up last week. Was wondering if it would be worth looking for another inline 6 to go back in it. Does anyone have experince with that engine. Maybe buying a create v8 and putting in their? If so, what size would fit and still be good enough on gas to drive 35 miles on way to work 5-6 days a week. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Chris

It's all about money. What's the cost of another pickup in your area? Can you call in some of the favors you've been doing to get help swapping out the engine? What's the cost of a re-build or good used engine in your area and how does it compare to the cost of a different pickup?

"get" and then "go with" the numbers? :)

For the most part, if you do a lot of work yourself etc to keep the cost down you're money ahead if you continue using the vehicle.

Fixing one up for resale is trickier.

Others on here know alot more about it than I do but this is a start, prob'ly a bad start, but still, a start. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Congratulations on destroying a Ford straight 6, that's damn near impossible. Stay with the I6 if you repower the truck, it's the best Ford engine ever made. On an 85 I would just call the bone yard and have them tow it off unless it was really nice.

Reply to
bomar

alvin is correct. but i would add that it will cost to convert to a V8. you would be best off looking for a wrecked, low mileage truck to pull the motor from and drop into yours

Reply to
Falcoon