'01 Grand Prix MAF problem

I have a '01 Grand Prix GT with a 3800 and a check engine light. When idling, the RPM swing from <1000 to 2000 with the car dying occasionally. The code reader I borrowed from the auto parts store
gave code P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input. I've tried removing and cleaning the MAF, but I get the same results. My questions are: Is there anything else I should test before dropping $150 bucks for a replacement MAF? Is there any way of testing the MAF to see if it is indeed bad?
Thanks for the help, --Jeff
You wouild need a scanner to see what the MAF is seeing for airflow usually about 6 gps at idle. Try disconnecting it and the pcm will go to default values and see if the stalling stops, if so and the connections are all good the MAF is probably bad.

-
Check for vacuum leaks. Check intake hose and air filter for blockage. Also clean your throttle body. If there are no shorts or open wires, than the MAF sensor is most likely toast.
Steve