01 Impala drivetrain noise

I have a 01 Impala LS that just started making a rhythmic whirring noise near the front right wheel that changes speed with the tire rotation speed...at a glance, it sounds like a brake problem. But, I replaced the pads and checked out the brakes it all seems fine. The noise does change when I swerve the car left and right...seems to get louder when I go right. OK...so maybe it's a wheel bearing you would think...but there doesn't seem to be any play in the bearing when I put the car up. Using a mechanics stethoscope right on the transaxle case, a friend and I think we have pinpointed the sound to coming from the output area transaxle itself.

Anyone else had any trouble or experience like this that they can share?

I'm probably giong to take it into a shop and let them figure out what it is, but thought I would ask anyways.

thanks

Reply to
chumpus

Does it get louder under hard acceleration? Ours got noisy while still under warranty nd it was and split gear.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Sounds like it's the left front wheel bearing. They don't have to be loose to be noisy. We replace wheel bearing assemblies all the time that are noisy, but not loose.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to