02 Blazer radiator drain

Does the drain plug requires a special tool to open or is mine broken off? I had work down on the front end recently at the dealer. Yesterday I tried to drain some coolant to replace my thermostat and found there is just a 3/8 inch plastic nub for what I assume is the drain. It seems to have an odd shaped slot that could conceivably accept some type of special tool but no way to otherwise turn it. I suspect the mechanic broke it off and it just left an odd shaped stub. Also, my coolant looks to be about 20 % dexcool and 89% water!

Thanks in advance

Reply to
notMe

Wouldn't surprise me in the least that the General sheared off the ears on the draincock in favor of a slotkowski that you need a special tool for.

Suggestion 1: Use a squeeze bulb if you want to remove some anti to replace the thermostat.

Suggestion 2: Crack the lower hose loose to drain some coolant out.

If your mixture is thinned out add more coolant.

Good luck.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,117 miles

000,006 - Feb 4,1991

100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005 500,000 - Dream On !
Reply to
Harry Face

Are you sure your looking at a draincock and not some bump that might be a spot where a temp sensor might go?

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,117 miles

000,006 - Feb 4,1991

100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005 500,000 - Dream On !
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
451ctds

On some of those plastic/alum radiators, GM used a drain c*ck valve that has a very high angle on the turning threads. You have to pull out as much as you turn to keep from breaking the little tabs that locate the threads. Ford uses them also that look like that.

Reply to
noname

Thanks but there is a gizmo in the opening which prevents insertion of a tube!

Reply to
notMe