04 Blazer radiator drain

The shop manual (GM Factory books) say open drain c*ck and drain radiator.... How does it open?? I see a small groove in one side - does it have a plug that turns and comes out??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reply to
randy

Push in and twist. They tend to STICK and be a PIA if you haven't opened them in a while.

Oh and don't expect the drain to come close to draining straight down, The usual path is down the frame and dripping everywhere... The way around that is to connect a hose over the drain. Have fun.

Reply to
Steve W.

I can feel no slot inside the "drain" is it a torx or hex? I'm sure it will be a real mess!!!!

Reply to
randy

Sounds like someone already "helped" you. Some had ears, they like to break off. Others have a hex and some have a crossed slot. Grab a mirror for a better look.

Reply to
Steve W.

I don't think this has ever been touched. It's fairly tight up in there so I will get a small mirror to try to see inside the short (1.25 inch long) tube.

Reply to
randy

Easier access is to pull the tire and lift the rubber splash guard out of the way. If you're doing a flush/fill it is easier to slowly pull the lower hose.

Reply to
Steve W.

I was thinking of doing that, it's just that the hose doesn't look like it's the low point of the radiator. But I guess that after a couple of fill & drain cycles it should be cleared out. I lifted the rubber flap and took off the plastic front cover but there is no "easy" access.... they just don't make 'em easy to work on anymore!!!!

Despite that, I still like my GMs.

Thanks for all of the info.... I'll just end up pulling the lower hose. The next trick is to catch the coolant!!!!

Reply to
randy