'04' Malibu and Impala question

Driving on the freeway the other day I saw a car that caught my eye, it turned out to be a new Malibu. Really like it's looks and with the 200hp V-6, it ought to be a pretty peppy car. I currently own a 99 Buick Century
that I will be trading off this next year. Having the Buick I am aware of the cooling leak problems with the GM V-6's so I am wondering, have these and possibly other issues with GM's been fixed for 2004 or is it too early to tell yet? Thanks.
--
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Probably to early to tell about the 2004. I've seen posts here from guys with 2001 & 2002's complaining of antifreeze leaks. In 2000 the intake manifold was changed to correct the cracking problem around where the EGR Valve is located. I guess the gaskets is still a problem? I know there are some redesigned nuts the dealer is installing, plus there using some kind of sealer pellets too.
Mine first leaked @ 220,000 miles, so I can't complain now can I...
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,129 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
My Buick is a '99' and had the dreaded leak at around 50K. Sure hope I hear some favorable reports in the next few months, sure like the new Malibu.
--
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
I wouldn't touch it. I bought the new Malibu in 1997 and what a piece of crap. Gm is notorious for having problem within the first 2 years. I cant see why that should be different with this new model. On the other hand I'm driving a Century 2002 and I'm fully satisfied, so far I can say the same for my Montana.So I'm not a GM basher...not yet ;-) Think twice...

and the 3.8 but not the 3.5. Thanks.
--
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

The 3.5 is "new" for this year. In reality, it's just a slightly larger 3.4L V6 that was in the Alero, Impala, mini-vans, etc. in the past.
snipped-for-privacy@spam.com says...

Its a cut down northstar isnt it? All aluminum? There was a 3.5 for the last body style of the aurora but I think it was an iron block.
"Bonneville" wrote

No, the new 3.5 v-6 in the Malibu is nothing more then a slightly updated version of the 3100/3400 engines. You are thinking of the Olds 3.5 DOHC engine, it's not around anymore. Too bad, it was a good engine.
Here are some pictures of the 3.5 in a Malibu, you will notice that the intake looks a little different, plus there is something missing at the front of the motor?!
http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/DSC01642.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/DSC01643.JPG
Ian
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I never heard any problems with them though not many out there. It came in the catera first didnt it? Very short production for GM's standards.

I see the totally redone the upper intake system. Hopefully reinforcing those gaskets. I take it they tucked the power steering down near the cowl now? Hopefully this engine is going to be problem free. 60deg engines are a pain to work on when something fails.
"Bonneville" wrote

They weren't in the Catera, it had a 3.0 liter DOHC. The 3.5 was pretty much exclusively in the Olds products. Intrigue and Aurora were the only cars that had them...I think......the only major problem the 3.5 had was a problem with the front bearing on the balance shaft being spit out. The balance shaft would then grind the crap out of the block....new motor time.

The picture doesn't show the front of the intake gasket. It appears that they have done away with RTV for the front and rear end seals...and have replaced RTV with an actual rubber seal.
There is no longer any "hydraulic" power steering on these cars. The steering is electrically boosted by a motor sitting at 90 degrees to the steering column under the dash. The steering rack is nothing more then an old style standard steering rack, similar to what you might have found in the Fiero.
Ian
Ian
Which picture is the 3.5? Top or Bottom one?
It don't really matter to me, but both those engines that are pictured, GM sure did mess up mounting that altenator where you can " SEE " it and get at it.
LOL
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,129 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
"Harry Face" wrote

Both pictures are the same engine....different angles.
Ian
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

One things for sure... They got enough duct work from the air box to the throttle body. Not having to turn a p/s pump will free some up some horsepower. Looking at the numbers I like the low end torque this engine is making. However this engine comes awful damn close to 3800 territory and thats not good for 3800 lovers like myself. :(