'06 Malibu Maxx - rear brakes shot at 23K? Front pads look new.

I've owned cars a-plenty and NEVER have I seen the rear pads wear out a) in

23K miles and b) before the fronts. Doesn't make sense. Any ideas? Thanks.

Perry

Reply to
Perry

Perry wrote in news:Xns9BAC9D3F93D2Cpegpegboycom@216.196.97.131:

And no, I'm not driving around with the e-brake on (I suspect it uses a separate drum anyway).

Reply to
Perry

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 17:27:25 -0600, Perry cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Yup. Same experiences from time to time, same frustration. It certainly should not happen, but the first thing you want to look at is your calipers. Check for hanging calipers.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Check for a stuck parking brake,WBMS

Reply to
Mike Hunter

ABS?

Check for a malfunctioning proportioning valve. If it is sending too much 'power' to the rear calipers, that may do it.

Reply to
PeterD

PeterD wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That sounds reasonable to me. Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
Perry

Many late model Hondas with rebuilt in parking brake in the caliper (like some ford rears) also experience this. They couldn't figure it out either, and as usual, called it "normal".

Besides sticking calipers others mentioned, I would also check to make sure the front brakes are working (you aren't stopping by rears only, are you?).

Reply to
johngdole