08 G5 GT

I have the above car with 33,000 KM and bought it new. The car started making a rattling or clattering type noise. After taking everything out of the car including the trunk to try and find where the noise was coming from, I made an appt. with the dealer. They had the car all day and then told me my resonator was shot. $1100 to fix and not covered by my extended warranty. I was pissed so I contacted GM Canada not expecting much but a gal called me the next day and said she would contact the dealer. I then got a call from the dealer saying my exhaust system was going to be replaced under my extended warranty. Picked the car up and it is still making the same noise. Back to the dealer and this time they said was the lower bushings. GM told them to replace the bushings with softer ones to improve the ride because it has the sport suspension. Picked the car up again and it is still making the noise. It sounds to me like it is coming somewhere on the right side towards the rear. The tech said he road tested the car and it was not making any noise, don't know how he couldn't hear it, my husband, sisters, nephews can all hear it loud and clear! I am going to call again tomorrow. This car is driven in Victoria BC in a milder climate and I don't drive it hard or recklessly. Anytime we have had a bit of or ice, the car stays in the garage.

Any thoughts on what could be making the noise, it's almost like something loose in the trunk or trunk lid. The tech said he checked everything and made sure the speaker wasn't loose and anything else he could find.

TIA.

Reply to
Jan

The usual procedure for finding noise is to get ears as close as possible to pin it down. Find a bump close to home where it always happens and put somebody in the trunk to listen. It could be underneath the car. See this

There's all kinds of things that can cause noise, but you have to pin down the location first. Could be something simple like a loose bracket. When I didn't like the new "whooshing" noise after GM did a warranty replacement of the PS pump on my Celebrity, I took it back. But the service manager had a mechanic take a short ride with me to hear the noise. So short we never left the parking lot because the mechanic heard it and knew it was because they didn't replace the hoses the new pump required. That was a good dealership, but you'd think you can get that simple logical performance from yours. They already ate a resonator and bushings for nothing. Since they don't seem to have any common sense to think of it themselves, maybe you should ask them to take a ride with you. If they won't complain or try a different dealer.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I have contacted GM Canada again so it is officially on file with them and taking the car back to the dealer tomorrow. They said they will get the service manager to go for a ride with me. My husband says he personally thinks it is the strut mount so we will see but I am not giving up. Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Jan