10 'most American' cars [slideshow]

10 'most American' cars http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/autos/1006/gallery.american_made/index.html

--
Service Guarantees Citizenship

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:16:44 -0400, Jim_Higgins

Sad... The Hummer H1 was about 95% American parts and assembly (well above the number 1 in that list) when it was being made.
On 27/06/2010 3:16 PM, Jim_Higgins wrote:

Funny how Americans are bailing out GM when they only make one car in #5 spot that is in the top 10. In fact isn't the Aveo 100% foreign? Probably the most profitable one too.
Sounds like Americans got suckered by GM and their own governemnt.
--
We all work for government, they ceased working for us a long time ago.

Canuck57 wrote:

Doesn't GM make a lot of Mexican trucks?
--
Service Guarantees Citizenship

On 27/06/2010 4:42 PM, Jim_Higgins wrote:

Don't really know. But bet a lot of parts are made there. Not sure if it was Ford or GM, but at least one makes a popular V6 there.
--
We all work for government, they ceased working for us a long time ago.

How do you come to that goofy conclusion? GM has paid back it government loan and has earned over a billon dollar profit for the first time in over two years and is set to buy back the Preferred Stock owned by the feds and the UAW before the end of the year UAW. GM is still the number one seller in the US as well, dummy.

Taxpayers are still on the hook for about $100 billion.
Dream on, I look at the whole balance sheet not just some cocked up GM CEO bullshit.
For example it cost more to clean up GM toxic plants than the claimed loan payback.
Again, if you loan me $100, I will gladly pay you back $6 so I don't owe you anything.
On 27/06/2010 6:16 PM, Mike Hunter wrote:

--
We all work for government, they ceased working for us a long time ago.

Where do you come up with your goofy assumptions?

Toyota is very clever at making the cars they assemble in the US appear to be American while they are not.
Toyota buys most of it parts from other Japanese corporations, that assemble parts in the US and primary in Canada of MATERIALS and SUBASSEMBLIES imported from Japan, as well as several other far eastern countries including China that have their final assembly in the US or mostly in Canada.
My doing so the finished parts are considered as "North American" parts, giving the impression that the cars are made in America.
If you do a search of the US Department of Commerce site you will discover which companies use parts that are actually made in the US, not mealy finally assembled in the US and which MATERIALS come from the US.
A fender stamped in Canada from Nippon steel made in Japan is not an American part for example and a transmission assembled in the US of parts totally made in Japan with only pans and connectors made by a Japanese Company in America in not an American part even though they are among the parts listed as made in North America. Even Camry's made entirely in Japan carry a content part label listing 80% as made in "North America."
The truth is over have of all the vehicles Toyota sells in the US are IMPORTED and ALL of the profits earned in the US are returned to Japan, US Federal Corporate tax FREE, to be returned to them for R&D under Japans Capital Reinvestment Act. The only taxes Japanese corporations pay in the US are FICA, state and local taxes.

From a idiot that does not even own a GM...
Your BS skills are at least good. I don't dispute Japanese steel is used in Japanese cars, but it is also used in Detroit junk, including Government Motors.
GM Aveo, 100% imported.
On 27/06/2010 6:11 PM, Mike Hunter wrote:

--
We all work for government, they ceased working for us a long time ago.

Are you referring to yourself, you said you would never by anything from GM? 80% of the vehicles GM sells in the US are made in North America and GM gets all of its steel from US Steel Co.
Ford gets all of its steel from Mattel Steel Co, that is made in the formed Bethlehem Steel Burns Harbor Michigan plant, dummy