15 Pass Van Illegal In Fla?

A cousin of mine who was up here after Thanksgiving said that it is illegal to drive 15 passenger vans in the state of Florida.

I haven't heard of this. Is this true?

I know the vans are under close scrutiny for safety / rollover issues, but I wouldn't think they would be banned from use.

My cousin said they rented a Ford 15 passenger van to go to Disneyworld. They removed the rear seat - with 11 people there was more room for luggage.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~296,339 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Hey Harry, how's it goin? What's illegal is to use a 15 pass van for school bus use. The State law here in OK says "for transportation of school children". It does not say anything about private use or use by daycares and churches.

Reply to
noname

----------------------------------------------------------------------- No -- they are not illegal. I have a 15 passenger Dodge Maxi, and there are many 15 passenger vans used by churches, schools, and county and state agencies (usually for prisoner transport). I suspect that the rental agency was trying to limit their liability by removing the rearmost seat (the one that's most likely to start the lateral "pendulum" effect.

Mark Cronk

94 Chevy Astro 255,900 miles 99 Ford Exploder 01 Dodge Maxi
Reply to
Mark Sparge

Harry:

Maybe they thought you were an illegal smuggler?

LOFL!

Refinish King

PS Maybe you fit the stereotype? I get screwed with everywhere I go, so don't sweat it, life's a bowl of cherries and the fertilizer used to make the tree grow!

Reply to
Refinish_King1

You heard wrong, such a ban would violate the federal governments sole constitution right to regulate interstate commerce. The only exception could be the states right to regulate utilities, like intrastate buses or taxis

mike hunt

n>

Reply to
BigJohnson

Reply to
Shep

I don't think it's about extra insurance coverage, I believe that when you go over 12 passengers the driver needs a commercial license with a bus endorsement (I've forgotten what class - C or D maybe?).

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Reply to
Hank

I don't know about that. There's a reason why they are 15 passenger and not 16 or 17 passenger.

16 or more passengers require a CDL class D bus license.
Reply to
Dennis Smith

Right Dennis. I have a fleet of 8 Dodge Maxi B3500's and we limit out pass. to 10 including driver. There was a report about 2 or 3 years ago from the NTSB that says that in their research, the rollovers increased in severity when the number of pass. was more than

  1. Also, watch the tires. That's the whole deal. Tires. We run very heavy duty truck tires, keep them rotated, watch the inflation and replace them often. I do not compare the value of the life of one of my customers against a couple hundred dollars for a set of tires. We already make enough money without cutting corners on safety.

Reply to
noname

From what I recollect, my cousin took the rear seat out - not the rental company. And from what he said to mean was you Can't drive a 15 passenger van in Florida, period !

Most times we just let him talk and we nod alot.

LOL.