1965 Impala SS questions

Page 2 of 2

Are you positive it's not cylinder head casting number:: 3782461....64-66...327......Camel hump,no accessory holes,160/62cc port volumes,62cc chamber
Some times you can mistake a 3 for an 8. 8782461 is not a number I cvan come up with any data on.
If your car does have the erly camel hump heads, the heads alone, are worth a good $500. The Cal-Custom Vavle covers are worth around $250 for the pair. They are sought after items for period hot rods.
If you can look on the drivers side block bellhousing, behind the drivers side head, there are block ID numbers there. If you post them I can probably tell you if it has the orginal 327 block or not. Charles

I reckon I could have mistaken the 3 for an 8... definitely possible. There are no holes (as i remember) for anything to mount, just like you said. I will find out the rest of the numbers tomorrow.. I actually want to go do it right now, but already took a shower! :oD I do know there is a number stamped on the front of the engine by the passenger side head. I have mentioned this before, but the number is followed by the code "HC".. I'll get back to you later on that..
Thanks for the help! :o)

ok got some more info... I wasn't sure exactly where to look on the driver's side... i'll look some more. The only thing I found near the oil filter was "N36". The number from the pad in front of the pass. side head is T0422HC (could be TO422HC, i guess)
The head was indeed a 3782461...
I copied down the info from the tag on the cowl.. i'll do my best to line it up like it should be..
03B ST 65 16637 BODY BA 9133 TR 802 PAINT AA ACC
I forgot to write down the VIN again... I believe it starts with 166375D ... and then a sequence number, but i'm not sure. 1 - Chevy 6 - Impala 6 - 327 37 - 2-door sports coupe 5 - 1965 D - Doraville
one more i forgot .. on the intake , which, by the way, has red paint under the black... there is the number "340234" stamped..
ok Charles... found the casting number.... 3858180

Hey Celica Dude! That casting number is from the block of a so-called "Limited Use" 327 c.i.d. engine that was used in the 1965 Corvette. The regular Corvette 327 block was stamped 3782870 but the 3858180 number is shown as a limited use engine for the '65 Corvette, whatever that means. I don't know if it was also a limited use engine for the '65 Impala, or maybe it was the regular # for the Impala and was used for a few Vettes when Vette engines weren't available?
Cylinder Head Casting Number 3782461 was used on the '65 Corvette 327 c.i.d. engine. As far as the number from the pad in front of the pass. side head, T0422HC, the "T" means the heads were cast at the Tonawanda plant, the "0422" means the engine was built on April 22nd. the HC is called the "suffix" number and it indicates the engine's intended use. I am using the Corvette Black Book and I am unable to find the HC suffix in this book, which might indicate that the head was also used on other GM applications. Is it possible that the suffix could be "HE" or "HG" rather than "HC"? The HE suffix was used on the '65 250 h.p. 327, while the HG suffix was used on the 375 h.p. fuelie. - Sting Ray

Thank you for the reply! Yes, it's an HC code.. it's in the 1968 version of the Motor repair manual for American cars... merely says for HC "1964 - 67 ... 327 w/ PG"... nothing special... I guess someone put the camel hump heads on it at some point.. I guess to find out for sure which it is, i'll have to go ahead and pull the motor and the oil pan.... on this page: http://www.gearheadracing.com/Reference/BlockCasting/SBCCN.htm It says the 327 engine in passenger cars, chevelles, and camaros had the crank with small rod journals. I was talking to someone today who said that if it has screws with 7/16" heads holding the rod caps on, then it's the small journal... 1/2" is the large journal... or was it 1/2" and 9/16" ?? ... crap.. Anyway, the one for the trucks and the 'vette has a crank with large rod journals (or so i assume from the chart).. I'll find out what it is when i crack 'er open
I have a 305 from an Elkie laying around the garage... hasn't been run for about 4 or 5 years.. so I reckon I'll give it a temporary home while I have the 327 out.. i posted the pictures i took today of the casting numbers i've found so far .. (camera worked for some unknown reason) http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2dgdu/impala.html

I looked up the number on the supposed elkie motor and i came up with this:
10243878 ...305... 96-98 ...2-bolt ...Vortec truck, roller cam, one-piece rear seal Is an El Camino considered a truck? Is this even bolt-uppable to a PG?

Same data I got. That mean's it out of a Pick Up or SUV. Not a bad 305, for a 305. Orginally had center bolt valve covers.
All Chevy V8's have the same bell housing bolt paterns. All Small Blocks use the same motor mounts.
The El Camino is built off the Chevelle car line. Some consider it a truck, but it uses Chevelle parts. Charles
Got some info on your carburetor, it's from a 1979 Chevy 350ci, 195hp (automatic transmission, air conditioning).
Brian

327 5.4 62-67 V8 OHV; Carb; small journal crank; can type oil filter; no acc. Bolt holes on head 3782870 3789817 3858180 3892657 3903352 3959512 2680 4577 3782680 3774682 3782461 3795896 3884520
Looks like the engine has the stock heads for that casting number, and is the correct type 327 for the car.
That's good news value wise. Charles
Not sure about Chevy but Pontiacs production dates are similar to your D125. D=April, 12y, 565.
Terry God Bless Our Troops http://www.nanettes-place.com/terryspontiac.htm

I would agree on the alternator mounting. My dad had a1966 327 that the bracket broke and when it was fixed, Dad used 2 arm brackets for extra strength. However, Chevy put the alternator/generator on earlier small blocks there from the 265 days on forward till about 1969. Roy

Nobody mentioned installing the standard engine so I will, a 230 cubic inch 6 cylinder with 140 horse power.
:- )
Grandpa had a 65 with 4 doors & a 283.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 000 miles_~_~_