1986 Pontiac 6000 STE Much Oddness

1986 Pontiac 600 ste 2.8 , 148k Miles
The alt light and the Service engine soon light are comming on more often and seems to indicate an overcharge condition... Gauge nearly
pegs and this goes back and forth.
The Alt was changed and when this diddnt fix it the old alt was put back on.
Reasearch on Google seems to indicate tha I might have a bad ground or even a bad wire comming off the alt... or some kind of resister. I dont have any firm idea of where to go here save for checking grounds.
The headlight flash... not always with the above condition.... Its really wierd.. sometimes I can seem them dim and other times they get brighter.
Ok.... no one has been able to fix this.... and I got this car for free from a church group... nice paint job all new tires and many new parts... I am the point where if I cant fix it... i might have to give it back....
Any help would be... well helpful :)
Robert
--
Klingon Wisdom : Only A Vulcan would fart in an Airlock.

This is an indicator of a faulty alternator. I know you changed it once, but maybe the one you used was faulty also. Probably faulty diode(s) within the alternator. Maybe faulty regulator that is also in the alternator. By all means check the wiring, but if the wiring checks ok......
Dave S(Texas)
On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 07:48:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I personaly have never had an alternator go like this before... For me they always just suddenly stopped charging. Though I did have one car that the alt plug melted on... and a new plug (from the junk yard) fixxed that.
This car has really got me going.... The headlight thing is pretty much any time I drive at night... but the alt gauge dosent always peg and set off the alarm... and I can drive this for hours or mins until it does go off...
And it is unfortunetly a very hard alternator to come by.. 108 amps , I might be able to find it in the local junk yard or not... it dosent mount exactly the same as the 78amp (78 is that right?) version.. the plug wont reach on that one.
Thanks for your reply.
Robert
--
Klingon Wisdom : Only A Vulcan would fart in an Airlock.

I checked the wiring best I could and I diddnt find any issues. While I was driving it the top hose came off the radiator. Not a big deal I pull over and put it back on... to discover that the tank is made of plastic and about a 1/3 of the outlet is missing.... It sealed but I know I cant trust it.
So with much regret.. the car is going back to Love INC. I just dont have several hundred dollars to spend on a free but gorgeus lemon.
Robert
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 06:44:47 -0400, Robert

--
Klingon Wisdom : Only A Vulcan would fart in an Airlock.