1987 Delta 88 Brake/Parking lights Problem

I recently noticed on my 1987 Delta 88 that when I have my parking lights on both the tail lights and the top horizontal light are always on and that when I put on my brakes they barely get lighter. I got pulled over yesterday because the cop thought that my brake lights were stuck on and he couldn't tell when I had my brakes on. When the parking lights are not on the brake lights work fine, but I'm confused about the horizontal light above my hood. Is it supposed to be off at night until I hit my brakes or does the '87 D88 work differently?

Reply to
only12liv4

I meant the light above my trunk...not hood.

Reply to
only12liv4

Most likely a bad bulb. The tailight bulbs have two filaments, one for tailights and one for brakes. One of the filament is broken and making contact with the other filament. Replacing the bad bulb should correct your rpoblem.

Reply to
Mike

Ah, that sounds good, thanks.

Reply to
only12liv4

I was just thinking about something else.

Why is that light above my trunk hooked up the taillights? Shouldn't it be only connected to the brake light system?

Reply to
only12liv4

It's not. It's hooked up to your brake lights. Most likely it's coming on with the tail lights due to a bad ground in the tail/brake light system, or perhaps a bad bulb. Very commonly a bad ground.

Reply to
Mike Marlow