1987 Suburban Defroster problem

Hi - Okay, I am NOT mechanically inclined, but...
I have a 1987 Suburban and the heater (front, not rear) works great, but the defroster doesn't. My husband is a mechanic, but unfortunately he is at work
and hasn't been able to fix it. He bought me a Vacuum actuator-Air Distributor, but when I looked in my manuel, I didn't see anything that referenced how to actually put it in. And if I did, it was going by some other name or I just missed it (which is probably the case).
Anyway, long story short... I know that he has not checked any of the hoses, etc as he is sure that it is the acuator. Problem is, I need to install it, and I don't know what the heck I am doing. It is nearing winter time in Alaska, and I would love to actually be able to see out of my windows. Anybody that can explain to me in plain english (not mechanic english) how to replace the actuator would be VERY much appreciated.
Sorry guys and gals out there...I know the average person shouldn't be screwing around in the mechanic's world, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do....
Thanks

the
work
hoses,
it,
what
There are probably better and easier ways to get your husband (the *mechanic*) to do the job. Something about a wife posting to a forum, telling everyone that she's going to get it done because her husband isn't, just doesn't sound like is the first thing that came to your mind though.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Look for vacuum-motor in your manual.. Those motors are nestled up inside the dash and use vacuum to open/close distribution doors within the plenum system. Normally when there is a problem with this vacuum operated air distribution system (plenum) the 'default' position of the plenum doors is in the defrost position. Look inside the dash for the motor. See if all the tubing is attached. Your heater/defrost system is probably computer controlled, so maybe if you can get any trouble codes in the computer, that would be a help in diagnosing the problem. Since you are not experienced, why not just find a small auto shop and have it fixed?
Dave S(Texas)
Thank you, that helps alot. I was told how to do it, but then when I looked in my manual, and did not see the words Vacuum actuator, but instead alot of other things that I didn't know about, I was a little overwhelmed. Just needed a pointer in the right direction. It sounded so simple at first, and since I had the part and the tools, I did not want to spend $400.00 in labor at a shop.....
I did look in at it appears as if a clamp had come loose, and some other little part was broken. I took it into the parts store and they helped me with getting the new part, and explained the installation.. It's always easier to take something off then put it on.
I appreciate your help...
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

ok....so, are we defrosted now? Fixed? Check....Yes or No
Glad to have been of some help
Dave S(Texas)
Mr. Marlow,
My husband works out on the oil fields and so is unable, excuse me if I offended you in some way.
Mike Marlow wrote:

You didn't offend me at all. I just responded to the way your post appeared to me.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I re-read my post and I am sorry. Mechanic's is just a foreign language to me... short of changing my oil and my tires, and giving a "jump start" I am at a loss. Just wanted to fix it myself, and was frustrated when it wasn't a case of taking off a bolt or two...
Mike Marlow wrote:

am
wasn't a

Oh, don't be sorry. Take a pat on the back for being so willing to dive into things on your own and put your hand to things, even if it is out of your normal realm of experience.