1988 Buick Century 3.8L V6

The fan in the car only seems to work AFTER I turn off my car... I think that may be the cause of it over heating. Is it possible that it has two differant motors in it? One for when it's on and needs to move fast, and one for when it's off and moves slow? Any suggestions?

Reply to
Richa131

that may be the cause of it over heating. Is it possible that it has two differant motors in it? One for when it's on and needs to move fast, and one for when it's off and moves slow? Any suggestions?

On my GP there are 2 fans, one that can come on at any time and another fan that comes on as it's needed. How hot is the car running?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Richa,

Not sure about your car but my 1987 Olds 98 with the 3.8L has just one cooling fan (no VO8 HD Cooling option), but the fan has two speeds. Low speed is done via a resistor mounted on the morot support. Possibility the resistor is open?

Also too, a car engine goes into a condition called "hot soak" right after being turned off, and, depending on where the temp sensor is mounted, there may be a hot spot there that triggers the sensor and hence the fan when you turn the car off. I'd check out the entire fan and fan control system carefully (sensor connections, relays, that resistor, etc).

In addition, if the car is overheating, it may be something other than the fan, such as an obstructed radiator core (either internally or externally), bad thermostat and, last but by no means least, be sure the end seals and the air dam are in place and properly attached. If any of those items are missing air flow through the radiator will be compromised and can cause overheating.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

"Richa131" wrote:

may be the cause of it over heating. Is it possible that it has two differant motors in it? One for when it's on and needs to move fast, and one for when it's off and moves slow? Any suggestions?

Reply to
William H. Bowen