1988 Buick Century

Just got the car from my cousin.... when I turn it on for about 15-20 minutes to charge up the battery. Suddenly, the temp light goes on.... so I turn off the car, and a loud slurping noise started. All of the coolent was being pushed back into the overflow tank from a pressure build up. I checked to make sure there was enough coolent... there was. I changed the thermostat.... problem continued. I also asked around a I was told that these cars get "air pockets" if that's the case.... how do I drain out the air pocket... and where do I do it? By the way... water pump is fine, plenty of coolent,radiator cap is fine, and the only thing I can think of besides the air pocket (which I don't know how to fix) would be a busted radiator, which I don't think it is, or some kind of clog in the system. Any ideas please? Thanks

Reply to
Richa131

Rich,

It could be as simple as a new radiator cap. The old cap may not be holding the correct pressure.

It could also be a problem with the electric cooling fan. If your temp light comes on, and the fan isn't spinning, that can be the problem.

Last, it could also be a bad temp sender/sensor, but I doubt it, since the coolant is being pushed back into the recovery tank.

GMdude

minutes to charge up the battery. Suddenly, the temp light goes on.... so I turn off the car, and a loud slurping noise started. All of the coolent was being pushed back into the overflow tank from a pressure build up. I checked to make sure there was enough coolent... there was. I changed the thermostat.... problem continued. I also asked around a I was told that these cars get "air pockets" if that's the case.... how do I drain out the air pocket... and where do I do it? By the way... water pump is fine, plenty of coolent,radiator cap is fine, and the only thing I can think of besides the air pocket (which I don't know how to fix) would be a busted radiator, which I don't think it is, or some kind of clog in the system. Any ideas please? Thanks

Reply to
GMdude

Alright... I'll check up on all of that stuff, thanks alot for the info though :) I really appreciate it... but now I just got home from work today, and the damn thing wont even start now =/ doesn't make a noise, think the starter might have gone too. Happy Holidays :)

Reply to
Richa131

Alright... I narrowed it down.It's very cold where I life, so I turned on the car, and I saw the radiator cap letting out pressure... so that doesn't seem to be the problem.The fan only goes on when the car is off... otherwise... it does nothing. How would I go about fixing this? Is it a fuse? Or is a wire possibley broken? I don't want to take it to a shop or anything... that would be my very last choice since I lack the funds.

Reply to
Richa131