1988 cav. z24 stalling

we recently aquired this car. we knew when we got it that it stalled but we thought wwe could fix it. several months and parts later it still stalls.

no rhyme or reason. Ran great first few times i drove it. Would stall only at idle or full stop. Would start right back. then the battery got low. Replaced it still wouldn?t run. Now it won?t stay running.

Replaced idle speed module, ign. coils, spark plugs, wires, fuel reg.,

Any thoughts?

Reply to
regreta

Shep
Reply to
regreta

Reply to
Shep
Reply to
regreta

I have an '88 Z-24 and it would mysteriously die, would then re-start but if you put any throttle ressure on it at all, even in neutral, it would die...to make a long story short, I had it towed to a shop and putting a new ecm on it was what finally fixed the problem (no codes due to this). Another thing they are notorious for is the crankshaft position sensor connection becoming fouled with oil, hence neither the injectors nor plugs will fire since the computer doesn't "know" the engine is being cranked since there's no pulses from the crank (the tach won't move during cranking when this is the case, which is a clue) but I don't think this is the problem in your case now but it's just kind of a FYI. Let me know what the problem finally was (either post or email me).

Reply to
James Goforth

These 2.8 multiports also have a separate, cold-start injector. This is an additional fuel injector in the intake manifold that improves cold starting by spraying additional fuel into the intake manifold during cranking. It is not ECM controlled. It is activated by the cranking system and is controlled by a timing mechanism. It does not activate if the engine temp is above 68=B0 F. But the reason I'm mentioning it is that when it does activate it would produce the gasoline smell you mentioned even if the injectors aren't pulsing.

Reply to
James Goforth