1988 cav. z24 stalling

we recently aquired this car. we knew when we got it that it stalled but we thought wwe could fix it. several months and parts later it still stalls.
no rhyme or reason. Ran great first few times i drove it. Would stall only at idle or full stop. Would start right back. then the battery got low. Replaced it still wouldnt run. Now it wont stay running.
Replaced idle speed module, ign. coils, spark plugs, wires, fuel reg.,
Any thoughts?
First of all when it stalls, do you have spark?, fuel? Try spraying carb cleaner into the intake see if it keeps running.

-
"Shep2" wrote: > First of all when it stalls, do you have spark?, fuel? Try > spraying carb > cleaner into the intake see if it keeps running.
> > > we recently aquired this car. we knew when we got it that > it stalled > > but we thought wwe could fix it. several months and parts > later it > > still stalls. > > > > no rhyme or reason. Ran great first few times i drove it. > Would > > stall only at idle or full stop. Would start right back. > then the > > battery got low. Replaced it still wouldn't run. Now it > won't stay > > running. > > > > Replaced idle speed module, ign. coils, spark plugs, wires, > fuel reg., > > > > > > Any thoughts? > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/GM-1988-cav-z24-stalling-ftopict118635.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pW5971 > > > > -
Yes we have spark and fuel. Sometimes it will run for as much as ten minutes, and in gear. then stalls out and will not restart.
If you have injector pulse/fuel getting into the cylinders and spark is it has to run, something is missing how do you know the injectors are pulsing, you need a noid lite or some way to cofirm injector pulse and fuel delivery to the rail.

-
"Shep2" wrote: > If you have injector pulse/fuel getting into the cylinders and > spark is it > has to run, something is missing how do you know the injectors > are pulsing, > you need a noid lite or some way to cofirm injector pulse and > fuel delivery > to the rail.
> > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > we recently aquired this car. we knew when > we got it that > &nbsp;> > it stalled > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > but we thought wwe could fix it. several > months and parts > &nbsp;> > later it > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > still stalls. > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > no rhyme or reason. Ran great first few > times i drove it. > &nbsp;> > Would > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > stall only at idle or full stop. Would > start right back. > &nbsp;> > then the > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > battery got low. Replaced it still wouldn't > run. Now it > &nbsp;> > won't stay > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > running. > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Replaced idle speed module, ign. coils, > spark plugs, wires, > &nbsp;> > fuel reg., > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Any thoughts? > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > -- > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com > interface, at author's > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > request > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Articles individually checked for > conformance to usenet > &nbsp;> > standards > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Topic URL: > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > http://www.autoforumz.com/GM-1988-cav-z24-stalling-ftopict118635.html > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. > req'd). Report > &nbsp;> > abuse: > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pW5971 > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > -
You would think so but it doesnt. We are getting a code scanner tomorrow. Maybe that will tell me what is wrong with it.
I know it it getting fuel you can smell it. But it isnt flooded. What ever is wrong with it has a 30 year chevy vet and many other mechanics stumped. I know it will be something stupid in the end. I was hopeing maybe someone with a similar problem would surface.
I will let you when I find maybe it will help someone else.
I have an '88 Z-24 and it would mysteriously die, would then re-start but if you put any throttle ressure on it at all, even in neutral, it would die...to make a long story short, I had it towed to a shop and putting a new ecm on it was what finally fixed the problem (no codes due to this). Another thing they are notorious for is the crankshaft position sensor connection becoming fouled with oil, hence neither the injectors nor plugs will fire since the computer doesn't "know" the engine is being cranked since there's no pulses from the crank (the tach won't move during cranking when this is the case, which is a clue) but I don't think this is the problem in your case now but it's just kind of a FYI. Let me know what the problem finally was (either post or email me).
These 2.8 multiports also have a separate, cold-start injector. This is an additional fuel injector in the intake manifold that improves cold starting by spraying additional fuel into the intake manifold during cranking. It is not ECM controlled. It is activated by the cranking system and is controlled by a timing mechanism. It does not activate if the engine temp is above 68 F. But the reason I'm mentioning it is that when it does activate it would produce the gasoline smell you mentioned even if the injectors aren't pulsing.