1988 LeSabre exhaust question....

Hi guys. Last night I heard this nifty ting-ting-ta-ting-ting-ting sound under the car as I was turning/parking/driving slowly. Upon inspection in the dark with a flashlight it was very clearly one of the
exhaust shields. The piece in question was hanging down and later disappeared on the way home. GONE! Couldn't find it today on the roadside anywhere. The piece in question is situated approximately in the center of the undercarriage and would be more or less about as far back as your butt as you sit in the driver's seat. Ramble, ramble...The question is: Does(did!) this shield go between the exhaust and the car...or between the exhaust and the road??? I assume I don't need it if it is the latter. But if it goes between the exhaust and the body do I really need it either? Yeah, I know, they put it there for a reason :-) Any thoughts? Thanks.
KL
On 4/2/06 4:02 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
gibberish...

It's the shield for the catalytic converter, and goes on the bottom (road side) to protect the shell of the cat. Even if you found it, reattaching without messing up the cat would be difficult. Don't worry about it..
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Those heat shields can go on either side of the cat. On the body side they are intended to reduce the heat going up to the floorboards and are nor real effective at doing that. On the bottom side they are there to protect from a hot converter starting a pile of leaves on fire or something. In either case, there is no action required on your part except not to park on a pile of leaves or similar objects.