1989 Cavalier injector pouring gas into throttle body

My 1989 Cavalier suddenly started "pouring" gas into the throttle body and most of the gas seems to be going out the exhaust IF I can get it running. I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to get it started and even then it is sputtering and putting out smoke and raw fuel. Is there some sensor that could have gone bad or does anyone know what else could cause this problem?

The car isn't worth much so I don't want to put a ton of money into it.

Thanks a million.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

If it's doing this even with the key on and engine not running, the injector is probably leaking/shot. Otherwise, you may have something like a bad coolant temp or intake air temperature sensor that's telling the ECM that it's -40 degrees outside..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Look at the mounting base:

Where the pot metal housing that holds the injector, is cast from the throttle body, isn't cracked. Is the fuel coming directly from the center of the injector>

Is it dripping when you turn on the key and hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds, with the engine off, then slows down. Check for that while making sure it's not leaking directly from the center of the injector it self and post back.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

If it is a 2.8 or 3.1 V6 your fuekl pressure regulator is bad. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I think the 89 2.8L has multiport fi and the 3.1 wasn't an option (which leaves the 4 cyl 2.0L throttle body)

Reply to
Rick De Visser

Thanks to everyone for posting. First of all, the car is only a 2.0L 4 cylinder. The fuel is not coming out of the injector until I try to start it. It is not dripping when I turn the key. Also, the fuel is coming directly from the center of the injector, but again it appears to be putting out way too much gas.

I was able to get the car running barely, although it wouldn't idle, so I had to pretty much keep the gas pedal almost to the floor. I've also noticed that the Service Engine Soon light is on when the car is "running". Would there be a code set indicating the problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill

Here's another tidbit: I can't get the system to flash out a trouble code. I shorted A and B on the diagnostic ALDL, but the SES light just stayed on solid.

Reply to
Bill

A sure sign that the ECM toasted!

But this is a seat of the pants guess, if you're anywhere the Shamokin/Mt Carmel area of Pa. I have one I use for tests I can loan you.

But a rule of thumb, no code 12 when you ground the ALDL, it's a toasted ECM. When you floor the pedal, you put the ECM in Clear Flood Mode, so that's what helps you get the car to barely start, but releasing the pedal, will cause it to stall.

I hope this helps, but again I stress. This is a seat of the pants diagnosis, without using a professional scanner, that can cycle the injector or the fuel pump relay. You can buy a used one for about $40.00 and just swap the PROM's from your original to the used one. Unless you're lucky enough to find a car that's optioned the same exact way, as far as trans, engine and evaporative control.

The EGR isn't monitored on the 2.0/2.2 so that won't be an issue, so there are fewer PROM's for the 2.0 than the V-6's.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Wow! I really appreciate your offer to loan me the ECM, but I am 30 minutes West of Pittsburgh. If I understand you correctly, I can swap the ECM, but the PROMs from the original ECM will still be OK?

You seem to be really knowledgeable on the subject. I really appreciate your advice and it sounds like a good diagnosis to me. Your paragraph describing the Clear Flood Mode describes my conditions exactly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

General 2.8/3.1/3.4 problem on cars over 90,000 miles. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig