1990 Jimmy tilt steering wheel.

I have a 1990 jimmy S/10 type thats steeering at the tilt has become as loose as socks on a rooster! How much trouble is the repair procedure? Their were two 8mm bolts that fell from some where up inside the dash area. Could this be the reason for the lost motion in the tilt area? Are there some kind of plastic bushings in there that has caused this problem.Being a heavy equipment mechanic for the 30 plus years I have tackeled some wild stuff. This looks like it will be a challange to repair.

Reply to
runamuck

"runamuck" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

it is a challanging adventure......and yes those 2 bolts w/8mm heads hold the upper bowl to the tilt mechanism. there is still one left in there....if you catch the prob early you can sneak a guarter inch drive 8mm socket in the casting holes and tighten them...if you find the screws on the floor you must disassemble upper tilt assy to get screws back in.....my advice is to either buy or borrow a manual that has very clear instructions as it is VERY important to get it right. improper assembly could at best make you redo the job and at worst lockup the steering while driving........

Reply to
KjunRaven

My '89 Cavalier has the same problem. Apparently a common thing for GMs. Would it be any easier to simply replace the entire steering column? In my case, I have a donor car with keys from which I can get one. I don't have any info about changing the columns, though. Any special procedures or tools for that? Or just simply unbolt?

Reply to
James Goforth

Takes a bit of work to pull the steering wheel and top couple inches of the steering column. Challenge to do. Many locksmiths pull GM columns to get at the ignition lock -- the bolts for the tilt are right about that level.

Takes a couple specialized tools like a lock plate compressor. And it's not really intuitive how to get it all apart. In 1985 when I got my first locksmith job, my boss showed me how to dissemble GM columns.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon