1991 Buick Park Avenue Service Engine Code 41 cam sensor magnet

I have a 1991 Buick Park Avenue. About 2 months ago the check engine light came on...took the car in for the diagnostics and got a code 41. I was told that I would need to take the car to the dealer for the repair.

Anyway I did not and carried on to drive it for the next 2 months until it conked out on me last week. The car will now cut off immediately unless I hit the gas constantly. When I lift my foot off the gas it will cut out.

Are these problems related? The useless people at Firestone who ran the computer diagnostic only told me that the problem was in the "wire loom".

I have subsequently read that this might be a problem with the cam sensor or cam sensor magnet? I have a friend who is willing to give the reapir a shot but do you think I am better off just taking the car into the dealership which I really cannot afford to do. Can anyone lend any advice or help.

Thanks

Reply to
ferific

Shep