1991 Chevy Cavalier Starting Problem

Hi, I posted several months ago about this starting problem. Car wouldn't run for more than a minute or so, it would stall and then not start until it
would sit overnight. I have since changed the fuel filter and that seems to have helped somewhat. Now the car starts and will run until I shut it off, but (I think this is what is going on) if the car sits in the super hot sun and cooks for awhile it will start for a few seconds or will not start at all. When I try to start it when the temp cools it always starts. So is there something that the sun is getting hot that is not allowing the car to start. I'd really like to get this car back on the road again but it is not worth taking to a mechanic. Thanks for any info, Kirk
The ignition module and/or crankshaft position sensor seem to be common causes of temperature-related problems like this..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

it
think
awhile
road
HEI or DIS module. Depending on if you have a 4 cylinder or a V6. Charles

it
think
awhile
road
position sensor
Hi, its a 4 cylinder engine may be a 2.2. I'll check into these things. Thanks for giving me a starting point. Kirk

until
have
hot
Before you piss away all that money!
Try disconnecting the Coolant Temperature Sensor, if it is on the low side, it will send a cold signal to the computer. Flooding the car and making it stall after a few seconds, if it starts at all.
The 2.2 has a new type of injector on it, where the dwell time is almost like an on and off, rather than a timed injector.
My money is on the Coolant Temperature Sensor. I'm not ruling out the Module, or the crank position sensor. Which, by the way are a major pain in the balls to replace on a Cavalier. But I own a cavalier with a 2.2, and have fixed literally a hundred of them. It qualifies me to make the sensor statement. not that the others are inexperienced. But the other poster even said he had a 3.1.
Refinish King

it
Thanks for the info, where is this temp sensor? I'll try it the next time I get a no start. Thanks, Kirk

Car
(I
start
getting
the
It should be:
On or near the thermostat housing, I'm nowhere near mine. So I can't look to tell you. There is a two wire connector on the sensor, and I think one wire is yellow, with a red tracer?
Good luck!
Refinish King

start
for
crankshaft
Thanks Refinish King, I found my Haynes book to look it up. It looks like there is actually 2 sensors, one with 2 wires and one with 1 wire. The thing ran fine today, ran it for 10 to 15 minutes, hiccuped a few times. We will see what it does on a scorching hot day. I'll post back when I find out something. Thanks, Kirk

problem.
seems
but
on
It will hiccup if you run the car with the sensor disconnected all the time!
Disconnect the sensor, let the car run for five minutes or so, then you'll have an idea if that's the problem, shut it down, reattach the wire. If the car doesn't restart, you know for sure you've found your problem!
The one wire sensor, is more than likely a temp gauge or idiot light sensor, depending on which your car is equipped with.
Refinish King

cooks
back
Guys, the starter has took a crap so this may be the end.

not
off,
is
info,
Sorry to hear that:
I hope you don't junk the car for a $40.00 starter?
If so, where are you located, I'll buy it for what the salvage yard offers you if you aren't too far. As long as it's a two door?
I usually put V-8's in them and make them rear wheel drive, I just gave the third one I did to the customer, so he could finish it himself.
Refinish King

that
try