1991 Grand Am (2.5 TBI) Question

I got a 1991 Pontiac Grand Am the other day. I am having this problem. A few times, when I slowed down to a stop, my engine would bog down really low, bunny hops, and stalls. (And it's an automatic.) When I recrank the engine, it starts just right up w/o hesitation. But, when I go shift it into gear, I feel a loud bump, and stalls again. I have to wait a few minutes in Park, then the problem will go away. Anyone know what's wrong? Is my transmission screwed up?

Reply to
85 Riviera

Classic problem with GMs of that vintage, the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) solenoid in the transmission is sticking and not disengaging when you slow down. It's apparently not that hard to fix (you just have to pull the side cover off the transmission and replace the solenoid). As a quick fix, you can just pull the plug for the TCC, but that will reduce your gas mileage on the highway and will cause the trans to heat up more.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Bobo

same thing happened to my 89 grand am and i disconnected that plug and the problem was gone and the car drove fine for the next two years until i sold it

Reply to
Amber

Ok. I have considered the remedy of unplugging the TCC for now. Keep in mind, I don't know much about cars outside of basic maintenance. Where exactly is the 4-wire connector plug? What tools, if any, do I need. Lastly, is it easy to get to? Any positive help is appreciated and welcomed. :)

Reply to
85 Riviera