1991 grand prix evaporator removal or cleaning

Hi all, I have been investigating a poor airflow problem through the climate control system in my '91 grand prix. I've traced the problem to a debris-clogged evaporator. This car is my work beater and I don't plan on
fixing the a/c system.
I have removed the blower motor and fan and reached in to feel the gunky evaporator. That was a job in and of its self. (LOVELY design) I can not find my repair manual, and I don't believe it had the procedure to remove the evap anyway. Can anyone give me some pointers as to how to either remove or clean the evap so I can have heat this coming winter? I hope this car doesn't have one of those handy-dandy evap / heater core combo deals. :O
Thanks for any help or advice.
Brendan wrote:

Hi...
Guess that today's deja vu day or something... either that or I'm so old that I've experienced most everything :)
Happened to me about 10 years ago. Shop on the corner fixed it up by just reaching in with a spray can of brake cleaner and blasting away. Two cans of it, actually. Worked great.
Ken
Thanks for the idea... if I can get a good blast angle I'll probably try this. Investigation leads me to believe this job is a lot more of a pain in the ass than I think it's worth. I might even try to reverse blast it if I can get the ductwork away from the evaporator core.
Lovely design....
Thanks again.

Not sure of your GP's arrangement, but I was able to gain a good angle of attack on the evaporator core in my daughter's '92 Grand Am by removing the blower resistor assembly from the duct in the engine compartment. About as good an access as you can get without major disassembly.

Thank you very much.
I'll try this out.