1991 Lumina 3.1L cutting out

I have a 1991 Lumina Euro 3.1L that has recently started cutting out when accelerating and the RPM goes above 3000. When this happens, the engine will
cut back to an idle level and will not respond to further acceleration for 2-4 seconds. Also, the engine misses above 4000 rpm when in park.
Anyone have any ideas? Seemed to me like a fuel system problem, so I replaced the filter but that did not help. I thought maybe an ice problem(cold in MN), so I tried some heet which did not seem to help, either. Could the fuel pump be going?
Thanks for any help/ideas.
Chris

Mileage on this engine? One or more fuel injectors beginning to go bad? So far at least 6 have been replaced on our 1990 Lumina 3.1, still running (barely) at 202800.
Hi I had the same problem with my 86 Riviera. It sounds like your ignition module is going bad. When youre engine heats up you are loosing spark. I hope this helps Tom
It could be one of many things. However check the simple common things first. Like the condition of your spark plug wires and the spark plugs themselves. A bad wire or plug can cause it to cut out or miss while accelerating.
Once your positve your ignition is functioning up to par you move on to the next step of checks.
Do you have any trouble codes?
Thanks for all the ideas.
The car has 174000 on it, 3 injectors were replaced at 115K, and the car doesn't seem to be acting like it did then. The car is running good at idle and while accelerating until it cuts out.
The check engine light has not been on, so I assumed there would be no codes, but I should check.
Seems like people are thinking electrical problem, so I'm going to replace plugs and wires and see if that helps. Otherwise I will likely check into the coils.
Thanks for the ideas.
Chris
Thanks for all the ideas.
The car has 174000 on it, 3 injectors were replaced at 115K, and the car doesn't seem to be acting like it did then. The car is running good at idle and while accelerating until it cuts out.
The check engine light has not been on, so I assumed there would be no codes, but I should check.
Seems like people are thinking electrical problem, so I'm going to replace plugs and wires and see if that helps. Otherwise I will likely check into the coils.
Thanks for the ideas.
Chris
Good morning, I had the same issue with my 93 Lumina. After replacing the ignition module the problem seemed to go away for a while. It came back and after eliminating a few things we finally nailed what was wrong. It turned out to be the crank sensor. Once we replaced that, the car has been running well. I hope this helps.
Chris; I had the same issue with my 93 Lumina. It turned out to be the crank sensor.
Thanks. I was wondering about that. I haven't identified the problem yet, so maybe that is the problem.