1991 Pontiac Grand Am Broke Down

Hi everyone, my Grand Am has the 2.5L TBI. For a while I have noticed at certain times, the engine speed seemed to warble, (acceleration would not remain steady) namely at around 35 MPH in drive. Also, my
service engine soon light would come on if the engine temp is less than 100F.
More recently, it had become worse. My service light had come on more freqeuntly--every time I stepped on the gas and the engine temp was less than 160F. It backfired once or twice. Finally, a couple of days before it quit altogether, I noticed it missed a few times, and once even tried to stall while driving. The service light was on and the engine temp was around 110F.
I get a code 23 -- faulty intake air temp sensor. Yesterday, I tried to start my car, but it wouldn't. I have thought of a few possibilities, but I wanted to see what the general consensus thinks. Any help is appreciated.
Well the iat is either bad or disconnected, but ordinarily that wouldn't cause your problems, first check for spark and/or spray carb cleaner in the air intake, this will tell you it is a fuel problem if it starts, if not and no spark, it gets more complicated.
[...]
-
Yesterday, I ran the code scanner, and I also had a code 32--EGR Circuit. Could this cause the no-start?
I've been trying to find a leak on the vacuum lines, but so far, nothing yet.
Egr will not cause a no start. Did you try what I told you in the 1st post?

-
EGR---->>> horrible idle, maybe difficult starting if open and leaking, but not a no start condition. Sounds like crank sensor or one of the basics. I did not see original post.
On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:48:34 -0400, Shep wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu wrote:

Your MAF blew itself up. A "backfire" sound from under the hood is basically the thing venting exhaust through the intake, which roasts the MAF after 1-2 times, guaranteed.
Why it blew itself up is probably the ignition controller, the coil packs, or the timing gear ate itself(thankfully it's a non-interference design, IIRC).