1991 Pontiac Grand Am Broke Down

Hi everyone, my Grand Am has the 2.5L TBI. For a while I have noticed at certain times, the engine speed seemed to warble, (acceleration would not remain steady) namely at around 35 MPH in drive. Also, my service engine soon light would come on if the engine temp is less than

100=B0F.

More recently, it had become worse. My service light had come on more freqeuntly--every time I stepped on the gas and the engine temp was less than 160=B0F. It backfired once or twice. Finally, a couple of days before it quit altogether, I noticed it missed a few times, and once even tried to stall while driving. The service light was on and the engine temp was around 110=B0F.

I get a code 23 -- faulty intake air temp sensor. Yesterday, I tried to start my car, but it wouldn't. I have thought of a few possibilities, but I wanted to see what the general consensus thinks. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
jwe124
100°F.

More recently, it had become worse. My service light had come on more freqeuntly--every time I stepped on the gas and the engine temp was less than 160°F. It backfired once or twice. Finally, a couple of days before it quit altogether, I noticed it missed a few times, and once even tried to stall while driving. The service light was on and the engine temp was around 110°F.

I get a code 23 -- faulty intake air temp sensor. Yesterday, I tried to start my car, but it wouldn't. I have thought of a few possibilities, but I wanted to see what the general consensus thinks. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Shep

Yesterday, I ran the code scanner, and I also had a code 32--EGR Circuit. Could this cause the no-start?

I've been trying to find a leak on the vacuum lines, but so far, nothing yet.

Reply to
jwe124

Reply to
Shep

EGR---->>> horrible idle, maybe difficult starting if open and leaking, but not a no start condition. Sounds like crank sensor or one of the basics. I did not see original post.

Reply to
Walter

Your MAF blew itself up. A "backfire" sound from under the hood is basically the thing venting exhaust through the intake, which roasts the MAF after 1-2 times, guaranteed.

Why it blew itself up is probably the ignition controller, the coil packs, or the timing gear ate itself(thankfully it's a non-interference design, IIRC).

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander