1992 Buick Regal Transmission problems

When it warms up it doesn't want to go. It's like it's in neutral. If I stop the engine and wait a few seconds then start again, it will go into gear again. At
times the engine wants to stall when coming to a stop, but not all the time. It acts like the torque converter is dissengaging. It also has problems downshifting sometimes. I read where the 440t4 transmission has a lockup torque converter solenoid. Whould changing this as well as the fluid and filter help solve my problems. I know it needs a fluid change because the fluid looks contaminated (brown in color). I don't trust most of the repair shops around here and I don't have very much money to do an overhaul if that's whats needed. Thanks for any input, Neil