1992 Chevy Cavalier stalls out at stops

My daughter has a 1992 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl. auto with high mileage. Short trips, 5 to 10 miles, the car runs good but when she drives back to college, 100 miles from where we live, at about 50 miles the car will start stalling out at traffic lights or stop signs. Car will be hard to start back then will run untill she stops again. Sometimes she can make the trip without any problems but most of the time it will start stalling out on her. We have changed the fuel filter and it still stalls out. It is stressing her out and we worry about her on the road. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
s. walker

My step mother had an older Cavalier acted the same way. Eventually would not run anymore. Plugged catalytic converter was the cause..

Reply to
Michael Keefe

trips, 5 to 10 miles, the car runs good but when she drives back to college, 100 miles from where we live, at about 50 miles the car will start stalling out at traffic lights or stop signs. Car will be hard to start back then will run untill she stops again. Sometimes she can make the trip without any problems but most of the time it will start stalling out on her. We have changed the fuel filter and it still stalls out. It is stressing her out and we worry about her on the road. Any help would be appreciated.

A failing ignition module can do that after a good heat soak.

Reply to
NickySantoro

My guess is that the torque converter solenoid is sticking.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

trips, 5 to 10 miles, the car runs good but when she drives back to college, 100 miles from where we live, at about 50 miles the car will start stalling out at traffic lights or stop signs. Car will be hard to start back then will run untill she stops again. Sometimes she can make the trip without any problems but most of the time it will start stalling out on her. We have changed the fuel filter and it still stalls out. It is stressing her out and we worry about her on the road. Any help would be appreciated.

Bad plug wires.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul