1992 Chevy Lumina Low Coolant Light

I have a 1992 Chevy Lumina. It has been having an intermittent problem with the "Low Coolant" light on the dash. After driving the car for awhile (an hour or more) and driving at highway speeds sometimes the light will come on. The radiator is full and the overflow tank is full also. Once the light comes on it will stay on until the car is shut down. After a few minutes rest, when the car is restarted the light will usually be off again. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what was the fix? Thanks in advance for any help provided. Joe

Reply to
Joe

When did it start? Did you do something before it started happening or was it completely random?

Last time you topped it off did you follow the proper coolant fill procedure?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

It has been doing it for over a year or so. It is completely random. I can drive it all around the neighborhood on short trips and never see it. I know that there is coolant in both the radiator and overflow tank so I just kind of ignored it. I have had the cooling system flushed after it started thinking that maybe it would clean up the sensor or something, but that didn't work.

It usually seems to manifest itself after a highway drive for over an hour or so when the engine is nice and warm.

Does the sensor possibly need to be changed?

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Joe

I had one of these doing this once and it was just cruded up with the junk from the pink anti-freeze. Drain your radiator down a little and clean the sensor about 3-4 below the radiator cap.

Reply to
Doug Adams

Replace the sensor in the tank. It is a common problem. You should be able to change it without draining the coolant. Just do it when it is cool....

Reply to
Woody