1992 Chevy Truck radio

I have a 1992 C2500 with just less than 35,000 miles (really!) with the AM/FM radio with the cassette deck. The radio's clock always reads 10:49 when off, and when turned on, it shows that it's tuned to 1230 AM with the
volume halfway up. However, there is no sound coming from the radio, and all the buttons except for the power are virtually unresponsive. It does sit parked outside most of the time in the varied North Carolina weather. Could this have something to do with it, or is the problem somewhere else? Has anyone even heard of something like this?
Is this one of those radios that has a separate cassette deck located in the middle of the dash?? If it is then I suspect its the micro processor box that sits up under the dash. This type of radio is actual a multi piece unit. you have the head unit, the cassette deck, the box and then the optional eq. I currently have the same problem with my 92 1500. After a few tests my electronical buddy has determined that the brain box is dead.
Snow...
It sure is...where exactly is this box? It's my church's truck, so I'd like to know what exactly I'm looking for before I do it.