1992 Plymouth Voyager OBD?

I'm getting a Check Engine light on a 1992 Plymouth Voyager 2.5L 4CYL.

Is there a OBD connector -- and further - can I jump it with a wire like I do in my '88 Blazer to get the error code out?

I looked around the interior and couldn't find it.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe Webster

Yes, there is an OBD connector. No, you can't jump the OBD connector like your Blazer to get the codes out.

It's under the hood, near the left (drivers side) strut tower. (FYI)

Oh yeah... You want to get your codes.

Chrysler is way ahead of GM. The code extraction routine requires that you cycle the ignition key to "ON" three times. i.e., ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON do this all within 5 seconds, do NOT go to the start position, if you do it right, the Check Engine light will flash the trouble codes in the same manner as a GM does when you jumper the ALDL.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thanks,

I got these codes:

12 (everything is ok alarm) 51 - from my information -- ECM/MCAL/EPROM error? Doesn't look good if that's the problem ;) 13 - O2 sensor -- that's consistant with the problems I'm having (running rough/rich) 55 - EGR? That also would explain some issues

Am I close?

It's a 1992 Plymouth Voyager 2.5L I think -- I'll check for the VIN in a few -- at work ;)

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe Webster

You can't use GM code definitions (this -is- a Plymouth, right?)

Code:

12 begin fault code report 13 MAP sensor (pneumatic signal) 51 lean exhaust indicated 55 end of fault code report

You have either a leaking MAP sensor hose/connection or a failed MAP sensor and probably a dead O2 sensor, though I'd fix the code 13 MAP problem first and see if the 51 resets, (the start lowest numerically rule applies just as it does for GM).

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Ah, well that's not so evil then.

I was using troublecodes.net -- and didn't see Plymouth -- so I used GM ;)

Thanks, I'll let you know how I make out.

-Joe

Reply to
Joe Webster

It's a Chrysler.

GW

Joe Webster wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Replaced the MAP sensor ($34) -- started it up, no error, no problems.

Drove it for 2 days, no lights -- so I guess the 02 is okay.

Thanks alot!!!

-Joe

Reply to
Joe Webster

If it turns out you need the engine controller, I have a known good used one. This piece mounts on the driver side inner fender, and the air intake breathes through it. It controls ignition, fuel delivery, charging system voltage, and probably a lot of other stuff. I guarantee it to be good or you don't pay. It is for a '92 short wheel base (non Grand) Caravan, 2.5 four cylinder non turbo engine, 3 speed automatic trans, and radio. I don't know what is different in them for one with or without a radio, but there are two different part numbers for that. Number on this one is

4672135. I have $100 in it, came from a wrecking yard, but it was not my problem, mine turned out to be an intermittent fuel pump at 150,000 miles. I drove it for a few weeks after the repair with this controller in it, and then reinstalled my old one just to see if my old one was still good. It was, so I have this junk yard one as a spare. Make me an offer. Visa, Mastercard, Discover and PayPal are all accepted.

Lee Richardson Mech-Tech Evansville, Indiana

Reply to
Lee Richardson