1993 Buick Regal (Fly wheel replacement?)

I need to replace the fly wheel on my 1993 Buick Regal(automatic transmission). How do I go about doing this? Do I have to pull the engine in order to do this repair?

Reply to
LVTHYTIGERS

Shep

If you have to ask how to change a flywheel, then it's probably not something you should try. You have to pull the transaxle and remove the torque converter. Getting the transaxle lowered requires dropping the cradle. Probably something you should let a shop do.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Shep

Why on earth would he need to remove the torque convertor?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I know - I worry about it every time I post an answer like that. It's just that some folks just don't know the difference between a flywheel and a sterring wheel so they really don't have an understanding of what's involved - that it's not a simple R&R. I always feel it's better to just be honest with them and recommend they take it to a mechanic.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

How do you propose to remove the flywheel?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Shep

I've taken a lot of fwd transaxles out and they have always had a torque converter attached to the flywheel. How is it done on the GM? For all of the GM's I've owned (and still own), I've never had to drop a transaxle in one. This is going to hurt, isn't it? They say you learn something new every day, but I'm not ready to learn something new yet today. Oh well - might as well hit me with it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The torque convertor is disconnected from the flywheel -before- the transaxle is removed off of the engine block. The torque convertor stays with the transaxle.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Reply to
Shep

12"???? Hell - that's just flurries.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well - you have to remove it, correct? It'll be one heck of a tug getting that flywheel to come with it if it's not removed. I know what you're saying but I was saying that it needed to be removed from the flywheel. No matter if it stays with the tranny, it still has to be unbolted, and then it "comes out" of the car... so to speak.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Shep

No, not correct. Removal of the torque convertor means removal from the splines/front pump. Disconnect, yes. Remove, no.

Not if the flywheel is broken in typical GM fashion. 8-)~

Then say that it needs to be "unbolted," anything else is going to do nothing but confuse the OP and create a mess.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Don't worry Shep, if you need a knee/hip replaced or heart surgery, I'll hook you up.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Actually, that's not true. The tranny on any car can be removed without touching the torque converter. The torque converter just slides on the splined input shaft, but it's bolted to the flywheel. Removal of the torque converter requires unbolting it from the flywheel - no matter how you cut it. Tranny - removed by sliding it out of the torque converter. Torque converter - removed by unbolting from the flywheel. It doesn't matter where you put it - on the floor or on the input shaft - it's still removed from the flywheel.

The OP stated he had to replace the flywheel. In order to do that he has to remove the torque converter. All else is semantics.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Nice try, no cigar. You're assuming that there will always be sufficient room to slide the transmission off of the torque convertor. Reality says it isn't so.

No, he has to -disconnect- the torque convertor. The torque convertor is a subassembly to the transmission/transaxle from which it does not need to be removed.

You are using semantics to cover a glaring error in your advice.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

======= ======= On ANY...??......car???

You are wrong.

I am correct...... in saying you are wrong.

You will be wrong again.... if you dispute that I am correct in saying you are wrong.

I also believe that I am correct in stating that I am not wrong thinking that I am not the only one correctly thinking that you are wrong.

however......if i am wrong about what i think to be correct, i would like to correct the wrong by righting it with a correct appology.....

which i am perty dang sure ain't gonna happen......

but i could be wrong.

but i doubt it.

respectfully submitted to correct wrong information

~:~ MarshMonster ~stirs his boiling pot of mushroom tea....mmmm...smells like a good batch~

Reply to
MarshMonster2624

==== ==== ~Answers to yer Questions~

# 1 "You"....do not have the ability to perform this task in a safe, proficient manner.

# 2 Yes you do.

~Answers to the Questions you didn't ask~

# 1 It takes about 3 hours to be driving it down to the liquor store.... from the time you start the job...till the time you get to the liquor store after your done.

but then....the liquor store is jest around the corner from me.

# 2 $400-$600 depending on how crooked the shop is.. and the shops overhead.

# 3 No.....you cannot take the flywheel off without REMOVING the convertor "from the car".

^ ^

  • 0 L ~~

(couldn't help myself)

# 4 Yes...i've done a couple of hundred of them.

# 5 Yes....sometimes i do lie. But....i'm not lieing to you...... you believe me don't you? don't you? huh?

hopefully the questions you asked were answered to your expectations and the answers were accepted as I expected they would be, as i expected to answer acceptably all the questions you posted and the questions that i felt would be acceptably expected by a technician of exceptional ability.

~:~ MarshMonster ~answering the questions asked...and some that ain't~

Reply to
MarshMonster2624