1993 Buick Regal (Fly wheel replacement?)

Page 1 of 2
I need to replace the fly wheel on my 1993 Buick Regal(automatic transmission). How do I go about doing this? Do I have to pull the engine in order to do this repair?

Go to autozone.com/repairinfo

-

If you have to ask how to change a flywheel, then it's probably not something you should try. You have to pull the transaxle and remove the torque converter. Getting the transaxle lowered requires dropping the cradle. Probably something you should let a shop do.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

-

I know - I worry about it every time I post an answer like that. It's just that some folks just don't know the difference between a flywheel and a sterring wheel so they really don't have an understanding of what's involved - that it's not a simple R&R. I always feel it's better to just be honest with them and recommend they take it to a mechanic.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Why on earth would he need to remove the torque convertor?

How do you propose to remove the flywheel?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike, on the GM fwd trans the convertor is not connected to the flywheel, different layout than rwd.

-

I've taken a lot of fwd transaxles out and they have always had a torque converter attached to the flywheel. How is it done on the GM? For all of the GM's I've owned (and still own), I've never had to drop a transaxle in one. This is going to hurt, isn't it? They say you learn something new every day, but I'm not ready to learn something new yet today. Oh well - might as well hit me with it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike I am wrong here, it does have the conventional layout, the 12 in of sno in my dwy blurred my memory!!

-

12"???? Hell - that's just flurries.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
At my age even flurries generate thoughts of a strenuous clean up!!

-

Don't worry Shep, if you need a knee/hip replaced or heart surgery, I'll hook you up.

The torque convertor is disconnected from the flywheel -before- the transaxle is removed off of the engine block. The torque convertor stays with the transaxle.

Well - you have to remove it, correct? It'll be one heck of a tug getting that flywheel to come with it if it's not removed. I know what you're saying but I was saying that it needed to be removed from the flywheel. No matter if it stays with the tranny, it still has to be unbolted, and then it "comes out" of the car... so to speak.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

No, not correct. Removal of the torque convertor means removal from the splines/front pump. Disconnect, yes. Remove, no.

Not if the flywheel is broken in typical GM fashion. 8-)~

Then say that it needs to be "unbolted," anything else is going to do nothing but confuse the OP and create a mess.

Actually, that's not true. The tranny on any car can be removed without touching the torque converter. The torque converter just slides on the splined input shaft, but it's bolted to the flywheel. Removal of the torque converter requires unbolting it from the flywheel - no matter how you cut it. Tranny - removed by sliding it out of the torque converter. Torque converter - removed by unbolting from the flywheel. It doesn't matter where you put it - on the floor or on the input shaft - it's still removed from the flywheel.
The OP stated he had to replace the flywheel. In order to do that he has to remove the torque converter. All else is semantics.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Nice try, no cigar. You're assuming that there will always be sufficient room to slide the transmission off of the torque convertor. Reality says it isn't so.

No, he has to -disconnect- the torque convertor. The torque convertor is a subassembly to the transmission/transaxle from which it does not need to be removed.

You are using semantics to cover a glaring error in your advice.

Whatever Neil. You've contributed nothing to this thread but this inane distraction. Have it your way, as I've no interest in playing your little game. Next time why don't you consider offering advice to a thread instead of this kind of useless crap.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Hardly Mike. You've got two experienced mechanics with a probable combined experience of over 70 years disagreeing with you.

On the contrary, I've likely saved the OP from doing something that he'll wish he hadn't were he to follow your recommendations.

Not -my- game, it's the OEMs game, they specify the removal procedure. (usually, they're correct)

Advice on usenet comes in many forms, if the soccer daddies would shut the fuck up, the pros wouldn't need to spend time correcting the wild goose chases, i.e., the 01 Malibu belt thread...