1993 Buick Regal....how do I remove the starter?

The starter is very large and awkward. How do I remove it without pulling the motor. It was making a screeching noise every time I started it. I wanted to check the fly wheel but the teeth seem ok. I'm not sure if it's
the starter that's causing this. Help??? Thanks so much.

3.8L motor? The starter comes out with just two bolts but you may have to move the transmission lines out of your way to gain clearance. Likely they will be corroded in the nylon saddles and you may end up with leaks afterwards. Not to be offensive, but removing a starter is a pretty straight forward piece of work. Since you're asking it seems you're not too familiar with this kind of thing. You might consider buying a Haynes manual to assist you. Given that you have at least a decent chance of ending up with leaky transmission lines you might consider letting a shop do it. You'll be getting into more than you might want to deal with if you have to replace lines.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I wish I could be of help, but have no experience with that exact unit.
I have a 90 Reatta that may not be too far from what you are seeing. It looked intimidating at first, but I pulled the splash pan off the bottom of the car to gain access and although it was tight, I could get to the bolts with a socket and extension. It was easier than it looked, but I was up on jack stands in a warm and dry garage. If yours was the car covered with snow, that would be intimidating (at my age,anyway)
It sounds as if the starter needs to be shimmed. On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:52:08 -0500, "LVTHYTIGERS"

we tried shimming it but the shims ended up being either too think or too thick and it really didn't end up helping the situation
I replaced the starter on my 95 Regal myself about 2 months ago and I had to remove the air conditioning hoses to get to it. Once they were off it was still a hastle but doable. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:29:56 -0500, "LVTHYTIGERS"

Tigger,
When I removed the starter off my mom's Cadillac the trans line were in the way on her motor a, 5.7 V8.
A Chevy mechanic friend advised that after you pull the bolts out and disconnect the wiring turn the starter into a vertical position and it may clear the trans lines and drop straight down. The trans lines on mom's car bulged out slightly toward the front of the starter and that was the clearance needed to get the starter down while it was in a vertical position - but in a horizontal position there is no way the starter would drop straight down.
This might work on your car - but I'm not sure.
Good Luck.
Harryface
05 Park Avenue 36,055 91 Bonneville LE 306,123
thanks for the advice, keep it coming. We're getting some good ideas.
LVTHYTIGERS wrote:

First, with regard to shims. If the starter did not make that screeching noise over most of the starter's life and then developed it now, shims are not the answer. The drive became sluggish or flywheel teeth became damaged. Don't add shims unless it had shims. Of course someone who owned the vehicle before you may have left shims off. Most don't have shims. Like your other post, you provide no background to provide accurate help.
Second, some way some how, you better inspect every tooth on that flywheel with the starter removed. Look at them and also feel for a burr on the edge of each tooth. If there is one you should remove it with a small file or with a rotary tool very carefully. You can save a flywheel that's pretty bad this way as long as teeth are not missing.
I don't know if the starter made that sound before because the person who sold it to me was a dealer who never really owned it. I know, my bad. There were shims already there when I got it. Thanks for your help, we'll check out the teeth carefully.