1993 Cavalier 2.2L Intermittent misfire

Car runs fine then suddenly has no power under throttle. Engine will sometimes idle roughly if left alone during this time and other times stall. If clutch is depressed and full throttle is applied engine will rev
up but with no real power and with popping (like a backfire). Everytime this occurs the ABS light on the dash begins blinking. If I shut the engine down and wait a few minutes it will start up and run fine, for a short while then the problem recurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have replaced the coil packs (but not the Ign control module) and it ran fine for one day..then poof...the gremlin returned...

Tim L via CarKB.com wrote:

I had this problem on my 88 cavalier, it turned out to be a bad plug wire. It came out of the plastic clip harness, and sat on the exhaust manifold. Nedlees to say it burnt partially through, so when the car got warm, I got the symptoms, and only under throttle. Cruising along at a set speed and on fairly level ground gave me no problems.
Did you change the coil packs in response to this problem, or had you done it before that? The problem doesn't sound like one that changing the coil packs would cure. The fact that the ABS light flashes while it's acting up doesn't add up--that system is totally independent of the engine controls. Unless you possibly have a major bad connection in one of the grounds, making everything act up. You need to get the codes from the ALDL and see what that tells you (after checking all connections). Should be able to retrieve codes by shorting a jumper across the ALDL terminals, if you know how to do that. Otherwise pay someone with a scanner--money well spent. When you say it misfires do you mean it has a steady miss or it just lacks power? How many miles on vehicle?