1993 Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel Transmission problem

I have a 1993 Chevy Crew Cab with a 6.5td. This morning when I left for work the E-brake light came on when I hit 30mph and the tranny would not shift out of 1st gear. I limped it home and tried turning the
engine off then back on. Tried it again same thing happens. Are the two problems related? I verified that the E-brake was not set, the light does not come on until I get to at least 30mph. Any ideas are much appreciated.