1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE - HELP How do I change the directional switch??

My 93 pontiac grand am does not have brake lights or turn signals that work. We've replaced bulbs, replaced the brake switch on the floor...Now someone tells me that there is a control switch in the
Steering column?? Has anyone ever changed one of these? What is involved?? Is it difficult to do? Does the steering wheel need to come off? Any diagrams, stories or hints and help will be much appreciated!

Have you check grounds?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I did it on a 95 Regal. Easy job, part cost about 75 bucks. Get a Haynes manual for W body cars like yours and it will explain how to do it . It will be pretty generic but it will do. Oh by the way the steering wheel must come off so you may need a puller. It is the signal switch that is giving you all the grief guaranteed.