My brother took the 94 Regal today and after some grocery shopping, it wouldn't turn on. It's just dead silent when you turn to ignition. Radio comes on and he can roll up/down windows. It seems the battery is still good.
Would it be the starter that gone bad? How much would it cost to get it
The shop is not opened till Monday so the car is in the driveway for now.
Thanks for your help,
Newbie wrote in alt.autos.gm
Just because some of the electrical accessories work does not mean that there is enough juice to start the car. How old is the battery? When was the last time it was serviced? If the battery is more than 4 years old it quite possibly died.
However, if there was no indication of any problem before, it could very well be that the neutral safety switch is out of alignment. Try pushing the shift lever in park all the way to the end while trying to start. Or putting it in neutral and wriggling it back and forth while trying to start. If that doesn't do it, open the hood and check the battery cables. Can you wriggle them? If so, that is probably the problem. Side terminal batteries are a pain, and sometimes the cables are not tightened properly. They will not make proper connection and the battery will not charge fully.
without checking further I would be reluct
Sometimes your battery connections get quite corroded and they let you start the car till one day it no longer gets enough juice. Look at your connections and battery first.
First of all, if the battery were virtually dead, then you would hear the solenoid click when you turn from the On position to Start position. If the starter is not engaging at all (no "crank") then there is a possibility of a security key problem. Is there an indicator on the dashboard that is lit up with "Security"? Mine did that one time when the chip resistor on the key was faulty. So, try another good key. If the other good key fails, then it might mean that the ignition switch has gotten intermittent... the part that actually probes the key.
Follow the battery cable to the starter. That the wires off and clean off any rust and put the back on. It sounds like a bad connection, you would still have power to radio. It that doesn't work try tapping the starter with a hammer ( the solenoid). It might be stuck. If that doesn't work I would change the starter.
First thing to do is to check battery voltage. you need 13.2 to start the car. 13.8 in more real world settings.
If the battery voltage checks, step two is to check the battery cables. If those check out alright, then proceed to step three.
Step 3 is to tap the starter gentially with a hammer, in cluding the silinoid. if no start proceed to step four
Step four is to jumper the 'S' terminal to the main terminal and listen for starter engaugement. If it engauges you have a wireing, relay, passkey, or ignition key switch problem.
If it does not check for power with a test light. If you have power, then it's time to replace the starter. Charles
Thanks for all the suggestions. It turned out to be the starter - it was ceased up and I needed a new battery too. Ouch!!