1994 Buick Regal won't start

Threaded View
Hi,

My brother took the 94 Regal today and after some grocery shopping, it
wouldn't turn on.  It's just dead silent when you turn to ignition.  Radio
comes on and he can roll up/down windows.  It seems the battery is still
good.

Would it be the starter that gone bad?  How much would it cost to get it
replaced?

The shop is not opened till Monday so the car is in the driveway for now.

Thanks for your help,

Simon

Re: 1994 Buick Regal won't start
Newbie wrote in alt.autos.gm

Just because some of the electrical accessories work does not mean
that there is enough juice to start the car. How old is the battery?
When was the last time it was serviced? If the battery is more than
4 years old it quite possibly died.

However, if there was no indication of any problem before, it could
very well be that the neutral safety switch is out of alignment. Try
pushing the shift lever in park all the way to the end while trying to
start. Or putting it in neutral and wriggling it back and forth while
trying to start.
If that doesn't do it, open the hood and check the battery cables. Can
you wriggle them? If so, that is probably the problem. Side terminal
batteries are a pain, and sometimes the cables are not tightened
properly. They will not make proper connection and the battery will
not charge fully.

without checking further I would be reluct

Dick #1349
Re: 1994 Buick Regal won't start

    Sometimes your battery connections get quite corroded and they let you
    start the car till one day it no longer gets enough juice.  Look at your
    connections and battery first.

Re: 1994 Buick Regal won't start

First of all, if the battery were virtually dead, then you would hear the
solenoid click when you turn from the On position to Start position. If the
starter is not engaging at all (no "crank") then there is a possibility of a
security key problem. Is there an indicator on the dashboard that is lit up
with "Security"? Mine did that one time when the chip resistor on the key was
faulty. So, try another good key. If the other good key fails, then it might
mean that the ignition switch has gotten intermittent... the part that actually
probes the key.

---Bob Gross---

Re: 1994 Buick Regal won't start
Follow the battery cable to the starter. That the wires off and clean off
any rust and put the back on. It sounds like a bad connection, you would
still have power to radio. It that doesn't work try tapping the starter with
a hammer ( the solenoid). It might be stuck. If that doesn't work I would
change the starter.

Re: 1994 Buick Regal won't start

    First thing  to do is to check  battery  voltage.  you need 13.2 to
start the car. 13.8 in more real world settings.

    If the battery  voltage checks, step two is to check the battery
cables. If those check out alright,  then proceed to step three.

    Step 3 is to  tap the starter gentially with a hammer, in cluding the
silinoid. if  no start proceed to step four

    Step four is to jumper the 'S' terminal to the main  terminal and listen
for starter engaugement.  If it engauges you have a wireing, relay, passkey,
or ignition key switch   problem.

    If it does not check for power with a test light. If you have power,
then it's time to replace the starter.
Charles

Re: 1994 Buick Regal won't start

The key could be bad. Try another key.

Re: 1994 Buick Regal won't start
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions.  It turned out to be the starter - it was
ceased up and I needed a new battery too.  Ouch!!

Simon

Radio

Re: 1994 Buick Regal won't start

Two simultaneous failures. Hmmm. I don't think so.

---Bob Gross---

Site Timeline